85 and still fishing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

sanderson
Guide

Re: 85 and still fishing

Post by sanderson »

I/we lost our mother a couple weeks ago at the age of 90. The blessing was she had physical and mental health well through her mid 80's. To travel, fish, golf, cook etc. etc. is all we should hope for in our golden years. Too many don't get that chance. Warming to read your post, thanks!

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Absolutely awesome! there is nothing better than fishing with a parent. I sure do aspire to be like your dad and still be active at that age!

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

Thanks for posting. It is a little tough for me. My dad has been gone 57 years. It never gets easier.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I've got a new hero!

Gunpowder

Post by Gunpowder »

That's awesome and I enjoyed reading your post like all the others. My dad will be 82 in a couple of months. I got to go up and do some fishing for a week last spring with him and it was a trip that was a long time coming after COVID. Was planning on doing the same this spring, but some things came up, so hoping for this fall. He gets out as much as he can still and wades a familiar stream. When I go with him, I get schooled every time and enjoy my time and still learning from him at the age of almost 57.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

What an inspiring post. Thank you for sharing, and thank you both for serving.

stufit1

Post by stufit1 »

Thanks for your story and for both of your service. This is very inspiring, and I am glad you had a great trip. Hold on to those memories!
Stuart

GANGGREEN
Guide

Post by GANGGREEN »

I was the friend who was privileged to have fished with Matt and his dad on this trip and I can assure you that it was a joy for me as well. Matt's dad is still a very vibrant gentleman, extremely bright and pleasant to be around. The fishing also happened to be pretty good and the landscapes were gorgeous.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

creakycane wrote:
07/30/22 11:29
Well, that post makes my day. And I never met either of you!

Thank you both for your service, and best wishes for more good times astream.....
You are a lucky man.

I never knew my father, as he was killed in the S. Pacific in WW II.

But I was raised by my wonderful grand parents, so it all turned out well.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Matt. You are indeed a lucky man. And your Dad is my inspiration I’m a youngin of only 72 hoping I’m still alive and fishing at 85 and more, thanks for the post.

Arctic-Grayling
Guide

Post by Arctic-Grayling »

I would love to hear more about you and your father’s military careers. I didn’t make a career of the military, but I served, spent a year in Vietnam as radar Air Traffic Controller, at Waterboy Control, Dong Ha, RVN. The military never sent me any place that had good fishing, so I got out.
I like your father get out regularly, mostly dry fly fishing for Arctic Grayling.
Learned to fly fish from my grandad. Nice thing about fly fishing you can do it very late into life.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

My 85 y/o father was a Marine. Outside of a 65 year marriage and family, military service was his proudest achievement. We fished together until a few years back. Then Alzheimer's took hold. Our time together is gone and I miss it so much. Enjoy every moment...

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

I feel better now. I just turned a young 80.

Does this mean I have 5 more years? Hope so.

Say hi to your dad.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”