85 and still fishing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Badger Matt
Sport

85 and still fishing

Post by Badger Matt »

Headed home after a week of fishing Colorado with my 85 YOA father and good friend. Dad set up trip and it was a wonderful treat. I’m so blessed to have my father still very active and willing to put his body through its paces to join me on the water.

This man is my best friend and my hero. Awarded a Silver Star in Vietnam, enlisted me in ‘84, my best man in ‘86, commissioned me in ‘88, pinned on my eagles in ‘09, and officiated my retirement in ‘12. I’m a lucky man.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 85 and still fishing

Post by creakycane »

Well, that post makes my day. And I never met either of you!

Thank you both for your service, and best wishes for more good times astream.....

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Badger Matt--

You definitely are a lucky man! I'm fortunate to still get to fish with my role model Dad as well. He will be 90 in December. When I visited him a few weeks ago, I was disappointed that the water in what was my home water growing up -- the Battenkill -- was dreadfully low, so we didn't get to fish. Hopefully, next time! I wish you and your Dad many more days on the water!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, 7 to go....

Jay Edwards

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

creakycane wrote:
07/30/22 11:29

Thank you both for your service, and best wishes for more good times astream.....
Can’t think of a better way to say thanks for this post.
John

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello; well, i am just a wet behind the ears 84, so congratulations:

hand salute --- ready . . . two!

jim w

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

Great, simply great. I also have had the honor of my father as my fishing mentor and partner so I can appreciate how special, enjoyable, and yet pleasantly frustrating it is. Nothing like being schooled as an adult, right!

Thank you both for your service.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

My hats off to you and your dad and thank you for your service. As a 45 year old who has lived in the gym pushing iron basically my whole adult life my focus is turning on to being your dad when i get older. I have been studying quite a bit recently how to train to keep myself fishing until your dads age and past. I hope he has many more years on the river and i hope you continue to enjoy each others company. My dad got me in my career and taught me to fish as well.

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

creakycane wrote:
07/30/22 11:29

And this post made my day. Thanks!

orange caddis
Guide

Post by orange caddis »

First off, thanks to both of you for your service, second you just made my night. What a sweet post. In these crazy times it’s nice to witness love, friendship and gratitude. Your dad is a great role model for all of us. Thank you for sharing.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thumbs Up!

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

What a great post about a great trip! Thanks for posting, and thank both of you for your service. Nicely done gentlemen!
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

A lucky man indeed. Perhaps more than a little merit there, as well. Thanks and congratulations to you both.

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

My friend, Bill, just sent me this pic from the trip

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

My friend, Bill, just sent me this pic from the trip

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Yes, a wonderful trip. Agree--you're very fortunate! The only way to top that would be to have your own child along. Thank you for sharing.

Tight Lines- Ken

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Badger Matt, you are indeed blessed and thanks for your service. I'm 77 and my Dad's gone for a number of years now. He was in the U.S. Army Air Corps, 13th Air Force, Fifth Bomb Group and he piloted a B24 "Liberator" heavy bomber on 45 combat missions against Japanese Imperial Forces across the Pacific. He was the most self reliant, "comfortable in his own skin" guy I ever knew. He started me fishing when I was 5 and we fished together for years. I miss him still.

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

jimwright wrote:
07/31/22 13:09
Badger Matt, you are indeed blessed and thanks for your service. I'm 77 and my Dad's gone for a number of years now. He was in the U.S. Army Air Corps, 13th Air Force, Fifth Bomb Group and he piloted a B24 "Liberator" heavy bomber on 45 combat missions against Japanese Imperial Forces across the Pacific. He was the most self reliant, "comfortable in his own skin" guy I ever knew. He started me fishing when I was 5 and we fished together for years. I miss him still.
I have a grateful heart and know I’m blessed to have a wonderful father still with me. Yours was clearly a man among men too

mentorsteve
Sport

Post by mentorsteve »

Howdy to all. I read this around Noon today (est) and it stuck with me all day. I would be remiss if I Didn't tell you that it made my day. I confess, I'm jealous In a good way which is unfamiliar territory for me. Bravo! Steve lampros

mentorsteve
Sport

Post by mentorsteve »

Howdy to all. I read this around Noon today (est) and it stuck with me all day. I would be remiss if I Didn't tell you that it made my day. I confess, I'm jealous In a good way which is unfamiliar territory for me. Bravo! Steve lampros

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”