Thompson reel

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Upricon

Thompson reel

Post by Upricon »

I recently acquired a Thompson 100 fly reel. It’s in really good shape. It does have a problem though. Both the click pawl and the drag system are not very strong. I pretty much have to dial them both all the way to get enough resistance. I have studied the reel and have come to the conclusion that both the drag and pawl system springs are worn out. I would like to remove these springs, stretch them out, re-temper them then re-install them. I cannot figure out how to remove the springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Todd Homchick

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Thompson reel

Post by 3creeks »

So take this for what it's worth, as I don't know how to answer your question. However....long shot here; I follow a master rodmaker on Instagram named Bruce Howell. He's not a name you hear very much but if you've read Oregon Bamboo you get a glimpse into his magical world. Words in a book didn't prepare me for the pictures. From the rods, to the reels, to the machines that he uses to create everything that goes into them. It looks like he's making Thompson reels. He might be able to help you- if you can find him. Here's his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brucehowell30/

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”