The Wanderings of a Mountain Flyfisher --- Ed Sens

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

The Wanderings of a Mountain Flyfisher --- Ed Sens

Post by Eperous »

My second book, The Wanderings of a Mountain Fly Fisher, was recently published. I was waiting on a book review by the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild, to which I belong, contributing to their newsletter--- the Gazette, before posting this. This book is dedicated to Edmund William Sens, perhaps a little known but creative Catskill fly tyer/fisher, years ahead of his time.

I first read about Sens, and several of his fly patterns, in the mid-60s after devouring Ernest Schwiebert’s Matching the Hatch, an early bible of mine. Decades would pass before another Guild member inspired me to do the research on Ed Sens. I had help and got very lucky making contact with family members, who verified my findings while providing valuable insights gained through personal correspondence and recollections of the man.

Thus my Sens’ information is based upon three sources. First, what angling/authors: Ernest Schwiebert, Ray Ovington, Gary LaFontaine, Leonard Wright, Al McClane, and others wrote about Sens, his work and flies. Without any doubt, Schwiebert and Ovington had the most to say about this flyfisher. Secondly, a detailed personal letter between Sens and McClane, given to me by Ed Sens’ son-in-law, Bob Hutton. Finally, family recollections of the man himself. Also included are a few Ed Sens’ fly patterns, which have served me well, with reference to finding others.

The book consists of forty short chapters, about one-third of which prior versions appeared in the Gazette or Woodstock Times, for which I was not compensated. In addition to Ed Sens, stories told are based upon the most recent fifty years of my angling log entries, focusing on the Catskills, some Garden State wild trout streams, and a lengthy personal examination of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah National Park wild trout.

My goal in writing the book was to acknowledge contributions Edmund Sens made to trout fishing, perhaps a little known but not forgotten Catskill flyfisher.

Ed

PS… the cover of the book--- included below--- features a watercolor of the East Branch Neversink my wife did for such, as Sens was a Neversink flyfisher whose family owned property upstream of New York City’s Neversink Reservoir.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Wanderings of a Mountain Flyfisher --- Ed Sens

Post by headwaters »

Ed--

Congratulations! I'd love to read it. And, your wife's cover art is wonderful. Who is the publisher, or where is it available?

Thanks!

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

headwaters wrote:
08/01/22 21:18
... Congratulations! I'd love to read it. And, your wife's cover art is wonderful. Who is the publisher, or where is it available?
Thanks...

Epigraph Books is the publisher, both Prime plus Barnes & Noble carry it... as do two local outlets here in the Catskills, near Phoenicia...

Ed

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Excellent! Thanks for the prompt reply, Ed!

Rupert

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Excellent! I will get it and read it ASAP! Congrats!!!

hardyboy
Sport

Post by hardyboy »

Excellent! Just ordered it, can't wait to read it!

Barleywine
Sport

Post by Barleywine »

Congratulations on your second book, Ed.

I've read the book, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Along with the valuable info regarding Ed Sens, the book takes you along on Ed's fishing trips, and gives much information regarding history and conservation. Everything is told in an easy-going conversational style that seems like you're listening to a good fishing buddy.

Ed mentioned that he was waiting for the review from the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild to come out in the July Gazette. If anyone would like to read that review, just click this link:

https://catskillflytyersguild.org/wp-co ... review.pdf

—Chuck
Last edited by Barleywine on 08/02/22 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Chuck, thank you for posting the review...

And, to be totally transparent to all board readers... Chuck is the current editor of the Gazette, newsletter of the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild, which often does book reviews... though I have been writing a column in the Gazette since 2012, Chuck had no involvement with my book, nor edited any of the few pieces that appeared in prior formats of earlier Gazette issues, as he was not the editor at the time...

Two other Guild members, acknowledged in my book: the late Roger Menard who inspired me to do research on Ed Sens, and Wade Burkhart who assisted with some research, played the aforementioned roles... In 2013 the Gazette ran two issues on Ed Sens I wrote, based solely on my research... then in late 2016 I connected with members of Ed Sens' family, first a granddaughter and then her dad--- Ed Sens' son-in-law who validated what I had gathered while providing additional personal insights and the Al McClane correspondence...

Enough said, thanks again Chuck for your kind words...

Ed

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

Congratulations on finishing your book and getting it out! I'm really looking forward to reading this!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you pronounce your last name?

Bob Abitz (short a :D )

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Ed,
I ordered mine today!
Thanx, Mark

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Ed, as always your adventures and undying love for the hollows amid these Catskill Mountains have been woven into a lovely book! Highly recommended for lovers of bright water, bamboo, wild trout and wild places.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I agree with the reviewers and posters above; Ed’s book is a very welcome addition to his excellent first book. Both can be had on amazon.
“Wandering” is just that - an enjoyable tour through many elements of Eastern fly fishing…. The bits on Ed Sens are a great focus, but hardly all the book offers. Randomly open to short pieces on Olives or Blue Ridge fishing, and you will find a nice balance between memoir and factual information, with meaningful citations to modern books and classics.
I’d place it squarely with Roger’s (Menard) book as the type of book, while readily available today from a small press, that later generations will be searching for. This is due to it’s timeless quality, notwithstanding the reference to Netflix in one of the pieces!
Lastly, I would agree that the cover art is fitting, attractive and tasteful. Kudos to your wife, Ed.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Received my copy today! I'll get started on it this weekend. :)

Return to “Book Talk”