<()))>< Flooded Remains

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

<()))>< Flooded Remains

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well, as stated in another thread my youth has begun to fade physically but not my enthusiasm. So, turning the ripe age of 65 I headed out to a creek that one needs to be in, let's say, middle aged. :) I've fished this creek several times over the past 15 years and each time I come out shredded from having to climb over down fall and the like. But this time I wanted to see the damage done by the severe flooding and how the stream held up. Well, it's still there but with several large log jams from additional downfalls into the creek. The floods also completely destroyed two or three of my favorite pools. They were almost unrecognizable. But the good news is that the rugged denizens survived. Perhaps a few less than in previous years but they were there and ready to accept the steel! The better news was that the year classes seemed healthy as well. Gotta love those Cutties! :)
The other good news was that the 6'6" 3wt. that Bill Blackburn built for me recently was simply awesome and handled this little creek as expected and requested. A DT3F on this absolutely smooth casting tool rules the day and handled even the larges trout with authority. Check it out!
Mark

Blackburn 6'6" 3wt. and an awesome 14" Cuttie;

The damaged creek and a bit of timber;

A #10 Black Foam Ant was all that was needed;

ReelPatina
Guide

Re: <()))>< Flooded Remains

Post by ReelPatina »

Mark, nothing will rejuvenate you like climbing over logs all day! Seems like just the ticket, an obstacle course on one’s birthday. Congrats on the day and on finishing the coarse! Beautiful scenery as well.

I recall reading in another location the normal log jam like conditions the majority of our streams used to have do to natural decay, storms etc, and the positive impact that all had on fish populations. It is too bad some of those telephone poles weren’t in the water ass apposed to suspended across.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Very nice! Looks like a stream made for 65+ year old gents :D

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

as John Gierach wrote,
"although I'd now and then wonder if I was getting too old for all this bushwhacking and rock scrambling, there I was doing it, so apparently not."

well done ;-)
nice creek and cutts, worth the scramble..

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Makes for interesting fishing that sort of terrain - just got to be careful.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Mark, perhaps they ought to Increase the challenge of golf courses by adding a log jam or two. Sand traps are for wooses!

Good on you good keeping physically fit, I’m sure you’ll be scrambling difficult streams and taking on ruffed grouse terrain for many more years.

And I forgot - Happy Birthday! You can be proud of still being youthful at an age when many are not, either by choice or circumstances.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

adrien schnee wrote:
08/03/22 19:31
Mark, perhaps they ought to Increase the challenge of golf courses by adding a log jam or two. Sand traps are for wooses!

:rollin Thanx for the laugh!

stufit1

Post by stufit1 »

Mark, great story and pictures. Those floods were something and very terrible but I am glad the fishes survived.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”