Vin Scully RIP

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Vin Scully RIP

Post by firehole »

Vin Scully was the best baseball announcers ever. You will always be remembered. RIP
Dennis

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Vin Scully RIP

Post by Brooks »

Best ever.

slate

Post by slate »

+1

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

THE BEST.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I live near Dodger Stadium, and drove by late last night to see folks gathering at the main gate, on Vin Scully avenue. People felt compelled to go there. I did. His wonderful voice and descriptions were the soundtrack of anyone from Southern California from 1959 on.

I really don't like how Uhura, Bill Russell and Vin have to pass away. I know it's how life goes...it eventually ends.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

There was a story about Vin in the LA Times Magazine several years ago and I think the title was "The most trusted man in LA." I think he might have been. I grew up in central California listening to him broadcast games. Once I moved south to LA, what a thrill it was to have the privilege to do some work in his home in 1990, right after I got married and returned from our honeymoon. My interior designer gave me his house number to call so that I could line up the work schedule with them, and much to my delight he answered the phone. He knew that I had just gotten married and he asked me all about it as well as where we went for our honeymoon.

There was either a player strike or an MLB lockout before the 1990 season and he was home a little later in the season than he would have been, so I saw him almost every day for the time I was there in his home. One day he walked me out to my truck at the end of my work and we just chatted about baseball and other stuff. He'd written a forward to Jim Murray's book and I commented on how much I enjoyed it and he expanded on the story that he wrote about in the book forward. My years of listening to him and these snapshots of my limited interaction with him constitute everything that I know about the man, but I'm probably not alone in feeling like he was an old friend.
Last edited by 3creeks on 08/03/22 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

3creeks, that’s a wonderful anecdote.

Something Vin said during an interview for the Baseball documentary has always stayed with me. He was talking about maturing as a baseball/Dodger fan over a long period of time and referring to the excitement of winning and the and the depression from losing and said something like (paraphrasing) “ the highs aren’t as high and the lows aren’t as low”.
As I get older, I don’t get too excited about catching a lot of fish. And I don’t get bummed out if I get skunked. Simple perspective via Vin Scully. I wonder if he fished too.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

There is not any current sportscasters that are in the same class that Vin Scully was - a Great Broadcaster!
I watched an NFL game last fall and found myself yelling at the "color commentator", the obnoxious Tony Romo, to "shut up already".
Mr. Scully could paint a mental picture with two dozen words. Your were the GOAT of sportscasters.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

There will never be another like Vin Scully.

If only I could have heard him call games on a transistor radio.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

When I lived in the L.A. area in the 1970's, I had a business friend who had a few seats on the first base line at Dodger Stadium. He often would treat my boss and I to a night game.

It was a little slice of paradise. And the best part was you could hear the game called--in stereo-- by Vin Scully on radios brought by the fans throughout the stadium. It was really nice! RIP Vin...

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I grew up, as I said, in central California so it was between the Dodgers and Giants. I chose the Dodgers, possibly because I was able to actually listen to the games on the radio so I grew up listening to Vin's voice on a transistor radio, Brian! And absolutely, fans brought their radios to the games so you'd hear Vin throughout the stadium on those radios.

I met my wife in the magical summer of 1988 and our first date was a game at Dodger stadium. One of the tickets to that game is on our fridge with a magnet holding it on. We watched Gibson hit that game 1 homer on TV in my apartment with Vin's voice calling it. Before the Dodgers sold their broadcasting rights to Time Warner (grrrrr!) we watched every single game. My wife watched them if I wasn't home. So many happy memories and as written or said elsewhere, Vin scully was not only the soundtrack of my youth, but for most of my adult life as well. It hasn't been the same without him since he retired.

By the way, I like Tony Romo on football games! His insight is pretty cool.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I was just reminded - and also a legendary voice to remember...

Even though TWIB went on with Ozzie Smith - the show was never the same without Mel Allen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_in_Baseball
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I also spent my youth in California, Southern cal. I escaped in’72.
I was born in ‘54, saw the Dodgers play at the Coliseum when i was real young, and still remember that giant tall left field fence to make up for the short distance (right field was normal length, extending down the football field).

I saw Leo Durocher kick dirt on the umpire at a famous home-plate kicking back-and-forth. A few years later my dad took me to the World Series at Dodger stadium, my heroes Koufax and Drysdale pitched.

In my house there was alway at least one tv going, with a radio going with Vin Scully, and sometimes two TV’s going (USC football, and/or the Lakers). Our living room looked like a bizarre sci-fy movie set at times with several TV’s with rabbit ears, a radio with Vin’s sermon, and my dad pacing back-and-forth in front of the stack of glowing electronics, swearing and swatting at the air if one of his teams screwed up—a Tiger-like fist pump when they did score or did good. Almost as ever-present as Vin Scully’s voice in the background of my childhood, was Chick Hearn, Lakers Broadcaster.

Vin Scully’s voice is stamped in my memory like the murmer of my favorite trout streams.
Last edited by Brooks on 08/07/22 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Love reading these great So Cal memories. Rest to Vinny.

Best sign at the front gate/impromptu shrine - God has acquired Vin Scully from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Flykuni3 wrote:
08/07/22 12:54
Love reading these great So Cal memories. Rest to Vinny.

Best sign at the front gate/impromptu shrine - God has acquired Vin Scully from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Hopefully there's a player to be named later that's 1/4 of the man that Vinny was!

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Mel Allen was great as well. I watched This week in baseball every week as a kid. It's funny how we hung on every tidbit of information throughout the limited programming of sports back in the day, and now it's so ubiquitous that it is almost too much. Some of the mystique is gone (I think).

LA sports teams have been blessed with GREAT announcers. Vinny, Chick Hearn, and Bob Miller doing Kings Hockey. And Dick Enberg with the Rams when they were here the first time.

Brooks I think, compared to now, the 70's were the glory days in LA still. I would consider it an escape if I could leave now! But my wife is a native Angeleno who is addicted to warm weather so I will probably die here. Later than sooner, hopefully.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”