First bamboo rod: Flea?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Jrintx
Sport

First bamboo rod: Flea?

Post by Jrintx »

Hello,

Long time lurker. I’ve come across an opportunity to finally get a bamboo rod, an Orvis Flea, but need some experienced help before I pull the trigger.

The flea checks my boxes, I like short, light weight rods, and on the slower side. I mainly fish a Scott fs-583, f2 602, and Orvis SFG 703. My target is panfish in the local creeks and the occasional pond. I fish a foam ant and size 12 nymph equally.

The flea gets a lot of recognition as a great taper and slower than say a superfine or deluxe (something I have nothing to compare to). Is this 6’6” 4wt comparable than my modern glass, or should I be looking for a superfine/deluxe?

Jrintx
Sport

Re: First bamboo rod: Flea?

Post by Jrintx »

I’d also be open to any other taper that might fit my described use.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo jri

My first cane was/is an Orvis Flea, back in the '60s from Elsie Darbee. That was a couple of hundred sticks ago. I have dozens of 3 and 4 wts, and the Flea is about as you describe it. I have most of the Scott old G's in 4wt and made it a point to cast pretty much their whole trout lines through the '70s. The only Scott glass I have is an old 7'6" 4wt. Recently, I coudn't find an SFG 703 and had to settle for the longer one. The Flea is slower than all of these. In fact the only slower rods I have is a 7'3wt Willow glass from Art Weiler and an old J Kennedy Fisher in the same size.

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

The Flea is slow, but I find that “slow” in short bamboo rods isn’t the same as “slow” in short graphite or glass. Even though short bamboo will be about as light as short glass, and barely heavier than most short graphite, its denser feel compared to hollow rods makes it easier to control the line in the air and mend on the water. In the hands of most fishermen with any experience, bamboo will land the fly on the water more softly. To me, it’s simply a sweeter feel.

Earlier today I was casting the Orvis Caenis (6’9” 3wt) next to an Orvis One Ounce (6’6” 2wt). Both are feather light, but I could get much more work out of the bamboo Caenis, and enjoy it far more in the process. From what I’ve read and heard, the Caenis was made from the butt of the Flea and the tip of the Seven/three. My Seven/three is just barely slower by comparison. I don’t have a Flea to compare them all side-by-side, but I’d expect the Flea to have just enough more “wood” to handle a 4wt line better than the two 3wts would.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Thank you for the responses. I’d have thanked y’all sooner, but having issues loading this forum.

I can kind of see what a different slow might be like. I’d love to test one before buying, but not likely. Missed the opportunity to get an older flea, but have sites on a newer model with a wooden seat.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I'll bet you can't hardly find one bad thing said about the Flea. Obviously, the present values reflect the demand. If you don't like it for what you want it to do, you can re-sell it on here in an hour if you ask a reasonable price.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I can't compare the Flea with similar glass, but IMHO the flea is a great short 4Wt slow action rod. I sold mine to a forum member and miss not having it.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

I’ve missed out on a few rods and came across a Madison flea. Since I’m on a road trip, I’m stuck to my phone for internet and having trouble viewing the Orvis DB. Is 87853 the rod, but it has a black/blued up locking seat. Have any factory rods shipped that way?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Greg Reynolds would know best! That serial number is not listed in the database, although the cited serial number would have been for a rod made 1991. And, I've never seen one with that reel seat or spacer. Moreover, the database indicates that the Flea was not catalogued in 1993. So, perhaps they were using up existing blanks at some point and would custom fit one by request.

See post #7 in this thread. viewtopic.php?p=897245&hilit=orvis+flea ... rs#p897245

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Jrintx wrote:
08/15/22 14:30
I’ve missed out on a few rods and came across a Madison flea. Since I’m on a road trip, I’m stuck to my phone for internet and having trouble viewing the Orvis DB. Is 87853 the rod, but it has a black/blued up locking seat. Have any factory rods shipped that way?
If your refering to Orvis Flea #87583, it's in original condition. I exchanged E-mails & photos with the seller prior to it being listed.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Thank you Greg! Typo on my end.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Well I missed out on that flea due to not having internet and being able to raise my bid. Still on the hunt.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Got anxious and ended up getting a Madison Penn’s Creek 7 footer. From what I’ve read, it’s faster, but I’m sure I’ll still have fun. Just need to find a reel, my Ross Colorado LT and spare CFO II are both on the lighter side of reels.

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

I wouldn’t worry about getting a heavier reel for “balance.” The Penn’s Creek has a nickel silver and wood seat and is only 7ft, so it doesn’t really need more weight at the butt. Personally, I’d put a CFO 123, CFO III, Hardy Featherweight, or similar-sized reel on that rod, but that’s due more to line capacity and visual proportions than reel weight and balance.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll keep an eye out for another CFO III.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Got the rod in, powerful rod!

The Abel CFO II doesn’t fit so well, I always have issues with sliding band seats and these reels. Luckily I have a CFO disc for a quick cast.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”