<()))>< Arizona Trout ?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

<()))>< Arizona Trout ?

Post by Hellmtflies »

My better half and I will be in Arizona in a few months. Can anyone tell me if there is any trout fishing east of Sun City, Messa or Pheonix? I thought I had read that there was trout fishing in the Salt River east of town. Any information helps. Thank you in advance.
Mark

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< Arizona Trout ?

Post by cdmoore »

See if you can add Gila and Apache trout to your life list while you are down there. This is a great little site I stumbled upon the other day that might get you started (scroll down):

https://www.nativetroutflyfishing.com/t ... salmon.htm

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

A good friend of mine grew up in Phoenix and his dad was an avid fly angler -- they'd often vacation in the White Mountains near Greer. This was in the '60s through the mid-70s, it was mostly small high elevation streams fishing for rainbows and maybe cutts from what I remember him telling me.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

GerardH wrote:
08/06/22 18:27
A good friend of mine grew up in Phoenix and his dad was an avid fly angler -- they'd often vacation in the White Mountains near Greer. This was in the '60s through the mid-70s, it was mostly small high elevation streams fishing for rainbows and maybe cutts from what I remember him telling me.
My gosh, you're talking Mark's language now. :lol Hope you and Mrs. have a great trip Mark.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

There’s a tailwater section of the Salt that is stocked east of PHx……The Sedona area has some fishing,too.

From Greer, along the Mogollon rim corridor to the Alma Nm area, there are numerous streams with Gila, Apache and stocked trout. Some of the streams mentioned in guides are extremely small/skinny and in very rugged country. I’m not sure I’d go back just for the fishing…bright side, You won’t be overrun with guides and drift boats!

Books by Charlie Mech on AZ and Rex Johnson on AZ and NM detail opportunities.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

All good advice.
We live in the Prescott, AZ. area and have fished the above mentioned areas from time to time.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx Guys! We are thinking of going down there to get out of the winter for a month or so. The only thing that seems to derail this trip is the cost of rentals. Based on VRBO and Zillo listings $6,000. plus, for a month rent in a so-so condo seems a bit outrageous. We are still looking for a moderate rate. I'll keep you posted.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

bassman wrote:
08/06/22 21:58
GerardH wrote:
08/06/22 18:27
My gosh, you're talking Mark's language now. :lol Hope you and Mrs. have a great trip Mark.
Yes, the White Mountains were a focus point. Thanx!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well, first I want to thank all of you folks that contributed to this thread. I appreciate the information. But the trip has been canceled as for the following. February 2023 in and around Pheonix, Arizona there will be Spring Training Baseball, the Waste Management Golf Tournament and worst of all the Super Bowl. All to be held while we wanted to be there. What that did was drive the prices of rentals absolutely through the roof. We have searched all over that area and even expanded an hour outside of it. The best we could find was a condo that I wouldn't sleep in for, ready for this, $6.500.00 rent for one month. Worst of all most landlords wanted a three- or four-month commitment. All of the realtors, VRBO, Airbnb, Zillo, and property management offices all stated that the owners are simply gouging the renters during that time of the year because of the above stated events. We were shocked to say the least. Sooooo,.......Trip canceled. We'll look elsewhere. Keep ya posted.
Mark

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”