McKinney Fire Evacuations

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Heddon20
Guide

McKinney Fire Evacuations

Post by Heddon20 »

Hello all,

I live in one of the parts of Yreka which has been under a level 2 fire evac warning since last Sat. Our neighborhood is fine and the fire never got close to us, thank God. Things are looking pretty good with containment efforts on this side of the fire and shouldn't be too much longer before the warnings here get lifted.

It was a different story last weekend and.we decided to leave even though we were not under a mandatory evac order. Packing for one of these is pretty stressful, since you really don't know what else to pack once you have the basic essentials (important documents, meds, clothes, etc) loaded in the cars. After getting our oldest son's trombone and electric guitar, and some other items loaded up my wife said "don't forget your bamboo fly rods", so into the car they went. I left the graphite rods behind.

We spent Sat night at a friend's house in Central Point, OR, and came back home on Sun to check on things (all fine), then spent Sun night at a hotel in Medford (more to just be able to sleep easier than anything). Came back on Mon am and felt comfortable enough with how things were going with supression efforts that there was no need to spend a 3rd night away from home.

Unfortunately, people living in the community of Klamath River were not so lucky. 100+ homes damaged or destroyed and 4 people died.

I hope none of you never have to experience a fire evacuation, but if you do PLEASE take the warnings seriously. If you are told to leave, LEAVE. Don't wait until the last minute as it may be too late by then.
Brian

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: McKinney Fire Evacuations

Post by bassman »

Sorry to hear about this. My daughter moved to Oregon a few years ago and loves it but she has been bothered by the smoke a lot recently. I don't know what the answer to this wildfire activity that is going on so bad in the west but maybe it's time to rethink a lot of things and hope people smarter than me can figure some solutions. For me, building my home in a known wildfire area among all those beautiful trees might not be such a great idea without planning fire breaks and safety zones ahead of time. Hopefully some answers will be found since this is destroying too much of the country and disrupting people's lives too often. Homes lost and lives lost need some solutions but without a real answer to our long running droughts I don't know what they can be.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: McKinney Fire Evacuations

Post by teter »

Good to hear you are back home and safe. I know some of the evacuees have been staying here in Ashland as well as Medford and Central Point.
The destruction in the town of Klamath River is heartbreaking. I fish in that area frequently. A friend of mine knows at least one of the people who died. The community center that burned was one of our takeout spots.
We have a "go" kit packed and ready to thrown in the car, with supplies for us and our pets. I pray we don't ever have to use it.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”