A History of the Dry-Dropper in South Devon (UK)

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

paulkenyon

A History of the Dry-Dropper in South Devon (UK)

Post by paulkenyon »

I'm currently writing an essay on the use of the Dry-Dropper in South Devon (UK).
From the Introduction:

The story of the Dry-Dropper in South Devon (UK) was interrupted by the stentorian voice of the 'father of dry-fly fishing' - Halford (1844 – 1914), and the silence of the 'father of nymph fishing' - Skues (1858–1949).

In the 21st century  "A dry-dropper rig is simple: a dry fly with a nymph tied to it" (Burgert 2020). In the 20th century it was given various catchy modern names that belie its origins: 'Klink and Dink', Duo Method, Dry Dropper, New Zealand Dropper, as well as Fitton's neologism Wry fly (i.e. Wet and Dry Fly).

Despite appearances, the Dry-Dropper is not a modern development. It was described in 1847 by George William Soltau who fished on Dartmoor and rivers in South Devon. This essay describes its early development; but it later fell out of favour because:  "The attitudes of dry fly purists such as Halford, his peers and successors played a major part in the strangulation of the development of nymph fishing" (Lawton 2005 p23).

In addition, Soltau moved his Dry-Dropper to mimic the behaviour of natural insects. This way of fishing the Dry-Dropper rig was accidentally discovered by Tom Rosenbauer (2008), and described as 'Loch-Style High-Sticking for Trout' by Ed Engle in 2010.

Soltau's book may have had no effect on the development of fly-fishing outside Devon (UK), but it certainly was of interest to serious collectors of English halieutic literature. A copy of Soltau's (1847) book was included in Charles Thacher’s gift in 2021 to the American Museum of Fly Fishing. According to the museum,   "Mr.Thacher is discerning, he knows what merited addition to his collection and what did not."

Link to essay: http://www.flyfishingdevon.co.uk/Pulma ... opper.html

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A History of the Dry-Dropper in South Devon (UK)

Post by ibookje »

Interesting! The first time I heard about dry-dropper was a video by Jack Dennis in the late 1980's about fishing in New Zealand.

I'm an avid 'dry-dropper fisherman' myself. I like the idea of fishing two layers of waters at the same time.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

We always called it hopper-dropper. Kinda rolls off the tongue nicely. :D

Mark

Fagus

Post by Fagus »

Fascinating subject, this is of special interest to me since I mostly fish on Dartmoor. Many thanks for the contribution!

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

paulkenyon wrote:
08/07/22 09:19

Soltau's book may have had no effect on the development of fly-fishing outside Devon (UK), but it certainly was of interest to serious collectors of English halieutic literature. A copy of Soltau's (1847) book was included in Charles Thacher’s gift in 2021 to the American Museum of Fly Fishing. According to the museum,   "Mr.Thacher is discerning, he knows what merited addition to his collection and what did not."

Link to essay: http://www.flyfishingdevon.co.uk/Pulma ... opper.html
Halieutic: a fishing-related word I didn’t know. My vocabulary thanks you.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Return to “Book Talk”