Hanging out my shingle - Desert Canyon Rods

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

DonT
Master Guide

Hanging out my shingle - Desert Canyon Rods

Post by DonT »

Hi folks,

Well, I'm seven years into this hobby/craft/obsession and I am going to hang out my shingle for a few years to give me something to focus on, provide some income to buy more fabrication stuff, and hopefully provide some good rods to whoever is interested. I have maybe 30 rods under my belt now and quite a few repairs and rebuilds. I will only be building a handful of rods a year but each will get full attention and my absolute best effort. FWIW I am not going to launch a website, since I do not actually want a ton of business nor do I want to have to maintain and pay for one.

I am doing moderately fluted hollowing on an MHM and my personal rods tend to be roughly based Dickerson and Payne tapers. I have a half dozen or more favorite tapers I have developed that I can discuss but I can build about anything that will fit on the forms. I'm not doing pentas yet but that is on the horizon. FWIW, I have gravitated towards the tapers that really fish well (in my hands anyway) and the 5 and 6 weights have been developed while fishing the Deschutes, thus the name of my company, such as it is. Anyway, feel free to contact me if you are interested. For those interested have a brochure with quite a bit more info that I can send.

Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
Wilsonville, OR
donti76@gmail.com
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

trland
Master Guide

Re: Hanging out my shingle - Desert Canyon Rods

Post by trland »

Don,

Congratulations and good luck in taking this step. Looking forward to seeing some of the rods in the "Made a new rod lately?" thread. I wish you well.
Nice name and logo too.

Mike

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Wishing you the best. Enjoy yourself; that’s what matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Thanks guys, Mike, I may eventually be picking your brain about getting up the curve on fabricating the metal parts. We'll see. My wife and I are looking for a place that would have a bigger shop area, among other things. Right now I don't have room for a metal lathe. I will for sure post some rods as they get fabricated. Harry, I will for sure enjoy myself!
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

WRONG20

Post by WRONG20 »

Glad to hear it, Don! I will personally attest to the high quality of your craftsmanship, from recent experience with the two rods I purchased from you…

-Dickerson-7613-Replica
-Heddon-‘50 Deluxe’ -Replica

…and the repairs you just performed on my Phillipson Paragon. Your straight forward approach, commitment to getting it ‘right’, and timely delivery on the repair work were all greatly appreciated. Each of the two rods purchased above were ‘project rods’; well represented, constructed, and finished.

The Paragon was a treasured rod that I entrusted for repair, based upon the satisfaction of my purchase above.
Your workmanship and attention to detail are outstanding! I’m by no means, an expert…but do possess a keen eye and considered appreciation for the guns and fly rods I enjoy. I’m glad to have made your acquaintance, and do sincerely look forward to the next opportunity…

Best,

Mark

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Congrats Don. In my opinion, a low-key approach is a good thing. You still have the passion and fewer of the headaches that come from running a widely advertised business. I strongly suspect that word-of-mouth will get you want you want. Looking foward to hearing great things about your efforts.

Upland Fly Rods
by Bill Walters

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”