Who does "Bling" rods today?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Who does "Bling" rods today?

Post by bassman »

Don't really have any plans for any more rods. Have the two Penta bamboos that cover 3wt and 6wt. Have glass and graphite for other purposes like bass fishing in the boat and abusing rods when necessary. I still do and own several outfits of standard tackle and use them probably more than the fly gear. If I do decide to add one more rod it is one that is over the top for what most of you think of for bamboo. Almost every discussion of bamboo shows that most (not all) people like high quality in a clean and simple setting. I'm looking for someone's website that offers rods with fully engraved ferrules, one (or two) tipped windings on clear wrapped guides, some sort of exotic handle (like my Gnome Cholla handle), and exotic wood reel seat with full engraved rings.

In other words I'm looking for the kind of bling that some say adds expense while detracting from the "ambience" of bamboo. Lighter color cane, maybe tastefully tiger treated, full length and nicely spaced dark wraps (can't think of word for them), matching agate stripper of course, and any other thing one can do to a rod in making it a standout on the shelf.

I once saw a rod at a gathering that had what looked like a woven wood handle where you could see the blank through it. Never seen anything like that before or since but loved the look. So anyone doing these kind of rods and violating the simple is best principle prevailing in most bamboo circles? Webwite links would be loved and pictures treasured. Selling my scooter and just might consider one more rod since wife is getting new, black, refridgerator, stove, and microwave so I wouldn't feel guilty about it.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who does "Bling" rods today?

Post by oddsnrods »

While I don't make rods to sell, for the most part, last year I made a somewhat 'involved' 12" spey rod, to compliment a custom Wayne Petrevan 4" Platewind reel, complete with a rather complicated handle made of Rattan and African Blackwood.

'Scroll & dome' fore grip detail, plus mirrored Blackwood end button with recessed rubber 'O' ring, all in all, was very gratifying to create.

Malcolm.

Last edited by oddsnrods on 08/09/22 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

Bill Oyster has done some amazing work.
oysterbamboo.com

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

iI'm not accomplished enough to do bling, but I do have some curiosity. I decided to try and "roast" a rod as dark as I could get it, without destroying the fibers. I did the flame treatment to the pith, then flamed the enamel as far as I had the courage. It kept it's flexible integrity, but was horrible to plane. Way too many glue lines due to the splinters caused by flaming. Blued the hardware and turned an African Blackwood seat and grip. Kind of a neat look, but the wood is too heavy to be practical. Anyway, have another dip for the tips, then I'll have a 5.4oz. 7' 4 wt. to add to the quiver.

Last edited by sanderson on 08/08/22 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I know that Nick Taransky uses an engraver for requested work on his ferrules and hardware; I suppose any one will offer the product if you can find someone who is prepared for the fine work. I have a sample of some of the engraving work from Nick's rod. send me a PM if your interested and I'll send through a pic.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Jeff Wagner.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

In no particular order, some known bling artistes that come to mind:

Jeff Wagner (as mentioned)
Marc Aroner
Hideto Ishida of Japan (Kagerow Rods)
Tufts & Batson maybe
Bill Oyster
Dana Gray could go on the list
Mike Clark (Rocky Mountain style)
Edoardo Scapin of Italy
Rolf Baginski of Germany

I know there are a few more that are not coming to mind at the moment as well as others who are capable but don't normally make bling rods.

Have fun!

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

bassman wrote:
08/08/22 18:48
Don't really have any plans for any more rods. Have the two Penta bamboos that cover 3wt and 6wt. Have glass and graphite for other purposes like bass fishing in the boat and abusing rods when necessary. I still do and own several outfits of standard tackle and use them probably more than the fly gear. If I do decide to add one more rod it is one that is over the top for what most of you think of for bamboo. Almost every discussion of bamboo shows that most (not all) people like high quality in a clean and simple setting. I'm looking for someone's website that offers rods with fully engraved ferrules, one (or two) tipped windings on clear wrapped guides, some sort of exotic handle (like my Gnome Cholla handle), and exotic wood reel seat with full engraved rings.

In other words I'm looking for the kind of bling that some say adds expense while detracting from the "ambience" of bamboo. Lighter color cane, maybe tastefully tiger treated, full length and nicely spaced dark wraps (can't think of word for them), matching agate stripper of course, and any other thing one can do to a rod in making it a standout on the shelf.

I once saw a rod at a gathering that had what looked like a woven wood handle where you could see the blank through it. Never seen anything like that before or since but loved the look. So anyone doing these kind of rods and violating the simple is best principle prevailing in most bamboo circles? Webwite links would be loved and pictures treasured. Selling my scooter and just might consider one more rod since wife is getting new, black, refridgerator, stove, and microwave so I wouldn't feel guilty about it.
mr. bassman, you should talk to bill oyster in blue ridge, georgia.

regards, jim w

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

oddsnrods wrote:
08/08/22 19:14
While I don't make rods to sell, for the most part, last year I made a somewhat 'involved' 12" spey rod, to compliment a custom Wayne Petrevan 4" Platewind reel, complete with a rather complicated handle made of Rattan and African Blackwood...

Malcolm.
I like it Malcolm. It's exotic without being over the top.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Hellmtflies wrote:
08/08/22 21:34
Jeff Wagner.
+1 some really fine rods on his site. Would definitely be worth a conversation with him.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

The Tom Morgan Rodsmith bamboo rods are exquisite: custom made spalted burl wood reel spacers (I chose mine from a piece of wood plank--was shown many planks of wood), hexagonal winding check, with matching hexagonal enamel rod case with sewn padded quilt-like tube cover. Ferrule plugs that match the rod tube end cap. Rod tube end cap has silver-gold-rimmed medallion logo coin. Butt cap with engraved logo, custom agates, natural bamboo, no flaming, with claret wraps. Their website really doesn't show all the details.
https://tommorganrodsmiths.com/products/custom-bamboo

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Bill Oyster. Yes, they can have lots of bling, but under the bling lies a real casting machine.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

DrLogik wrote:
08/09/22 14:53
Bill Oyster. Yes, they can have lots of bling, but under the bling lies a real casting machine.
yes, drlogic ' a veritable ferrari formula 1 casting machine.

regards, jim w

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”