Hardy Perfect reel identification (newer model, maybe?)

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Brendan

Hardy Perfect reel identification (newer model, maybe?)

Post by Brendan »

Hi all,

This is probably a fairly simple question but I'm not having any luck finding an answer online. Does anyone know the approx. age of this Hardy Perfect reel? I'm guessing it's newer but it doesn't seem to the current new edition with the metal line guard.

I learned to fly fish on some fairly cheap kit, and have only even recently learned of Hardy's existence, But now that I'm getting back into fishing and have a little bit of disposable income, I'd like to buy a good reel for the next phase of my life. The one pictured looks like it would be ideal - if I'm looking at it correctly, it's a left-hand wind (the way I learned) and has the agate line guard (which would be nice). It's not available, unfortunately, but I'd like to have a sense of what to keep an eye out for.

Cheers!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. — John Buchan

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. — Henry David Thoreau

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy Perfect reel identification (newer model, maybe?)

Post by SpringCreek »

The reel was made in the 1960's based on the finish, foot and the agate guide.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Jim - that's good to know. I wasn't sure how new it was compared to the more recent versions.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. — John Buchan

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. — Henry David Thoreau

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I suppose a follow-up question for anyone in the know - what is a fair price to expect to pay for a left-hand wind reel of this vintage? I'm looking for something that would be compatible with newer rods, so I'm thinking a reel like this would be perfect (ha! ...).

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Lefty’s are way more expensive......

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Understandable - unfortunately, it's too late for me to change my ways, so for something to fish with, it has to be left-hand wind, whether vintage or new. Right-hand wind is an option for display, but not for use.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Since there are so few of these that show up for sale, it is tough to put an estimate on LHW values. I would depend on the model and era of production. The older they are the more difficult they are to find. I would go with the assumption that a LHW reel would have a premium of 75% -300% of the RHW models. Older reels will command increasingly higher premiums. You might get lucky and find one that goes unnoticed and will sell for less, but that is an anomaly.

Good luck in your search.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The price of a LH Perfect can be better realized by talking to a reputable reseller of fly goods.
Fluctuation in price is always condition related - and not so wild with used reel dealers.
Carmine Lisella and Jim Adams - two guys I've been buying from for years.
Honest gear at reasonable prices.

Study the Hardy reels for as long as you can take it before buying yourself any particular one.
That will pay on stream too - when you hear the first scream.

The fat handle helped me nail down the era.
And the concentric rings around the face.
Also the script.

You must buy spools to fit it from the exact era.

This is a 2004 year made fly reel.

This is 1930's era made fly reel.

Can you ID this era Perfect ?

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

salterlee
Sport

Post by salterlee »

Brendan, for LHW Perfects I would start with the modern repros from Hardy. They can be had between 350-450 USD lightly used if you keep an eye out. They can be fished hard and are enjoyable to use. You can add your own dents and dings and parts are easy to find if needed, though not likely. From there, you can keep your eyes peeled for 70s & 80s "bump era" perfects like Brian pictured above, though they still use the "lightweight" style drag, the round lineguards will be oriented for LHW and they'll have a screw on the spool side. These can be found over time for 450-750... The post WWII like you pictured are quite hard to find and you'll likely be paying significantly more if located. Good luck! Perfects are a joy to fish with, no matter which way you reel in the line.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

I would go for a Hardy Golden Sovereign, its a classic but modern Hardy fly reel, durable and with ball-bearings, two I think, a great strong and sensitive break, easy to change from R to L hand wind, or from silent to click check.the cost of a Hardy Golden Sovereign (1990-1997) will probably be half of what you pay for a Hardy Perfect RHW, LHW older Perfects are rare and very expensive. I think you will have a better fly reel in the Hardy Golden Sovereign, my own favorite in the last 20 years! Ps : one thing to bare in mind with the Hardy Golden Sovereign is the sizing, a bid optimistic. The smallest 3/4/5 is great with. Wf 4 line, the next 5/6/7 (my most used size and fly reel) a Wf 5, 7/8 a line 6 and 8/9 a line 7, the two biggest 9/10 and 11/12 I never used so….Pps: Hardy the Golden Sovereign were Hardys "top of the line" series back then 1990 - 1997, popular and expensive to purchase back then, the smallest 3/4/5 and the biggest 11/12 came on the market one year later 1991. I think they left the market because they were to expensive fly reels to make. In my eyes Hardy the Golden Sovereign is the best fly reel Hardy ever made, ok I never used todays large arbour reels and probably never will. Tight lines !

salarseeker

Post by salarseeker »

In my 70's know and with a lot of years of fly fishing behind me and can honestly say, I've never fished with anything other than a Hardy rod and reel. At least since my late teens. I have to agree with Sovereign on the post above. The Gold Sovereign reel is by far the best " modern" reel Hardy has produced. I purchased the first one a saw, when they arrived on the market in Canada in the 90's, a 9/10 and I still have, it hooked a fair number of salmon and steelhead, even the odd bone fish and tarpon. Like sovereign, my go to trout reel was always the sovereign 5/6/7. Beautiful reels.

The only concern is the Hair line fracture they suffered. A result of the stamping process of the Warrant Statement on the frame. They often appear for no reason as fine lines leaving down and away from the bottom corners of the statement. I had a 5/6/7 develop those cracks and it had never been off the shelve. This was in 1994, I returned it to Hardy, and they replaced the frame. It was interesting as I pointed those cracks out on reels to a lot of people on a lot of rivers, over the years.
The cracks have never affected the reels performance and Hardy never really identified the problem.
But it's there, it's the first thing I look for when I see a sovereign. That being said, I'd owned each model and it is by far one of the nicest reels you will ever fish with.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

castandiron

Post by castandiron »

Can you ID this era Perfect ?

[/quote]

Did you ever get an answer as to what era this reel is from? And/or an approximate age?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Painted bump Perfect - 1981 catalog

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

The reel dates to between 1976 and 1996. The “Volcano” version was introduced in 1976 when the spindle design was changed and was produced until it's discontinuation in 1996. If the reel has an agate line guide it was made between 1976 and 1982, if the line guide is reddish brown ceramic it was made between 1983 and 1996.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Same photo is above - what a funny photo.

Clearly a goof up.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Might I suggest
Graham Turner's - Fishing Tackle - A Collectors Guide

No doubt - this book will help your Hardy Perfect identification abilities

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”