Jenkins Serial #

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

thegreek
Sport

Jenkins Serial #

Post by thegreek »

My first bamboo rod was a Jenkins, and I have owned six different models through the years. All of the rods I've owned or seen have a serial # beginning with GA, which I think stands for Garrison. I saw a rod listed that began with SB (SB79). Can somebody tell me what the SB stands for? Thanks. Nick

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jenkins Serial #

Post by creakycane »

From the looks of the rod, I’d say SB might stand for swelled butt.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

I have two 8 1/2’ Jenkins rods with swelled butts, SB85-2 & SB853-1. Both custom orders.

thegreek
Sport

Post by thegreek »

Thanks. I thought that SB stood for swelled butt, though I wasn't sure. Thanks for the replies.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Any chance you guys would post a couple photos of the swelled butt rods? Have been fishing and collecting Jenkins rods for some time and have not seen that before. Cheers!

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

8’6”, 2/2. According to Steve, Charlie built 2 of these rods for a Denver sporting goods store owner. Tung oil finish because Charlie only had 4’ dip tubes. Likes both DT5 or WF6 lines.

8’6”, 3/2. Built for fishing landlocked salmon. Very similar to a Payne Canadian Canoe rod. Like it with a DT7 line

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Absolutely beautiful, canefisher! Thanks for sharing!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

GA does indeed stand for Garrison. Jenkins began rodbuilding with Garrison tapers. But I've casted a few Garrison taper rods, and the Jenkins is nothing like it. I'm still trying to find an oven tempered 8 footer, my favorite rod.

mikedrysdale
Sport

Post by mikedrysdale »

I am the happy new owner of the Jenkins in question - SB7912. I’ll let you all know how the rod casts and fishes when I receive it. I only have the GA75 to compare it with in the Jenkins range and I will be very interested to see how this one performs. Would anyone know when this one I’m receiving would have been made and if it’s a Charlie or Steve rod?
Cheers
Mike

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

mikedrysdale wrote:
08/12/22 16:36
I am the happy new owner of the Jenkins in question - SB7912. I’ll let you all know how the rod casts and fishes when I receive it. I only have the GA75 to compare it with in the Jenkins range and I will be very interested to see how this one performs. Would anyone know when this one I’m receiving would have been made and if it’s a Charlie or Steve rod?
Cheers
Mike
Congrats Man!! When I saw it listed I knew it wouldn’t last long.

I was real close to talking myself into justifying another rod in that configuration. 😃
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

The 7’9” was not in Jenkins early lineup. Based on what I recall Charlie saying, and the overall aesthetics, Steve would have had a hand in it with Charlie. My guess from the tube type and seat hardware and morticing is late 80s to early 90s (no tube label).

mikedrysdale
Sport

Post by mikedrysdale »

Thanks for the info - that’s great. I’m in Australia so it will hopefully get some time next season on some small snowy mountains streams. I love the history of these bamboo rods and knowing they have been fished and enjoyed in trout streams around the world.

Catskill
Guide

Post by Catskill »

GA = Garrison Action
-> based upon the Garrison tapers. There is a difference in how many “measure points” were performed.

Gl (that is a small L) = Gillum based taper

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

The Jenkins series typically available early on were the GA70L, GA70, GA75 and GA80. The GA756 and GA79 were added later on as standards. The 70L, 70 and 80 were also available in 3 pc versions. I have never seen a 3 pc 756 or 79.
I own a 7’6” 3/2 5 wt labeled “753-1”. It is heavier tipped and a bit stouter than the standard GA75. It’s a Charlie rod.
Custom 1 pc rods, 8’6” rods (2 and 3 pc) came along, too, though mostly as one offs.
The 7011 is a 7’ 3 wt that they made a few of, but I sold mine some time ago. It is quite a bit more delicate than the 70L. It came as a classic model in a brass tube that would make a good rocket launcher.
The GA 80L is a good one; a light 4/5 wt rod, they made at least 3.
Steve brought in flamed and baked options, as well as a light cane model with Payne like wraps referred to as the classic.
He also added agate as an option, and fancy guides as options. My wife, then fiancée, bought me a flamed 70L 3p with these options in 2002, so I recall the details. She mostly dealt with Steve.
The really old rods often have screwlocks that Charlie machined himself. Very nice.
Many things Jenkins did they did for a few years, then changed or added. The original 4models were relatively constant.
Sometime around 2000 they put out a very nice folder with catalog and anglers club competition, as well as pictures.
There’s a video on dvd that Steve did 10ish years ago with an interview with Charlie. If I owned a DVD player, I’d watch it again!
They also sold hats, again for only a couple of years. Nice tasteful caps.
I also got a package of some old USA made Imperial long brimmed caps from Charlie, IIRC. I’ve seen pictures of him in said caps.
One other item of interest is that the book Colorado classic cane has 4 pages on Jenkins rods and history: on page one is a pair of 80s, one with a swelled butt, one normal. Fyi.
I’ve said this on this forum before, armed with an array of the 4 basic Jenkins rods from my line 1, and you’d be well outfitted for any trouting I care to do.
Just a few random thoughts/facts/embellishments that must be true: you read them on the internet :)
Last edited by creakycane on 08/17/22 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Chuck......

Jay Edwards

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Creaky-
Thanks for all the shared details above, what great rods produced by these two.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

creakycane- thanks so much for the history!

mikedrysdale
Sport

Post by mikedrysdale »

So I’ve cast the Jenkins swelled butt 7’9” and really like it. Super smooth, great in close but heaps of power if needed. Interestingly I have a Nick Taransky 7’9” rendition of a Garrison 209 and the guide spacing are exactly the same - not close but Exactly. The Jenkins is a little lighter and finer tipped than the the 209 but the feel and taper feel very similar. I like a 5 on the Jenkins more than a 4 - it really likes a basic Aircel WF5F.
One question - the other Jenkins I had was a GA765 and made by Steve - darker cane and it had Jenkins written on the blank - this rod has no writing apart from the serial numbers. Having owned a Jenkins and seeing as few others I’m pretty sure it’s a Jenkins (the script for the serial is as per other Jenkins). Just wondering if any other older Jenkins rods only had the serial numbers on the rod pieces?
Cheers
Mike

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

mikedrysdale wrote:
09/02/22 03:48
So I’ve cast the Jenkins swelled butt 7’9” and really like it. Super smooth, great in close but heaps of power if needed. Interestingly I have a Nick Taransky 7’9” rendition of a Garrison 209 and the guide spacing are exactly the same - not close but Exactly. The Jenkins is a little lighter and finer tipped than the the 209 but the feel and taper feel very similar. I like a 5 on the Jenkins more than a 4 - it really likes a basic Aircel WF5F.
One question - the other Jenkins I had was a GA765 and made by Steve - darker cane and it had Jenkins written on the blank - this rod has no writing apart from the serial numbers. Having owned a Jenkins and seeing as few others I’m pretty sure it’s a Jenkins (the script for the serial is as per other Jenkins). Just wondering if any other older Jenkins rods only had the serial numbers on the rod pieces?
Cheers
Mike
Yes, It’s a Jenkins. During some early periods ( pre block lettering) they only put the model and S/N on the butt (ie GA 70-8. See pics in post # 7). Before that, C would put CW Jenkins( or Charles Jenkins, or other variant) with the model. Later, When S was a principal, JENKINS was simply on the butt with the model/serial number. That’s when the 756 was developed……..

One question: does your rod have any script at the end of the butt cap? Some are embossed/stamped there.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”