<()))>< Batten Down the Hatches.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

<()))>< Batten Down the Hatches.

Post by Hellmtflies »

Yesterday we headed out and spent the afternoon trying to fight a tenacious downstream wind. Terrible, gusty, maddening wind. On top of that we were covered in a smokie haze from nearby forest fires. Nasty stuff to try to fish in. But never say never. So, as we both looked at each other as if to say "WTF?" (Where's The Fish?) We tossed caution to the, dare I say, wind, and donned our wading boots and strapped down the hats, battened down the hatches and in we went. Now as some of you are aware my wife is somewhat a challenge to stay with stream side when it comes to catching trout. I mean she can search out and destroy trout at times when, well, I cannot. :-\ Now, do I get her to the better water? I used to. But in recent years she's on her own as I was tired of having to pay for dinner on the way home to whoever caught the best trout of the day. But yesterday, yet again, she slam dunked me into picking up the tab on the way home. :-\ So to the fishing. There were absolutely no hatches, no terrestrials, no hoppers, spinners, midges, or bugs of any type in on or near the water. It was as if nothing at all lived in or around the stream. Sad. No, weird. But did that stop my better half? You tell me. Two rainbows at twenty inches a piece told me clearly that I was going to be a few bucks lighter on the way home. :) Well, good on her I say! Check it out below.
Mark

The fight;
*Note the smokie haze in the distance.

One of the two;

My attempt to stay in the race;
The rod is a Blackburn 8' 4wt. with a Hardy LRH reel.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 08/11/22 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< Batten Down the Hatches.

Post by creakycane »

Good for her!
No bugs; so what did she get them on?
May not help me, ‘cause as Marryat implied, sometimes it’s not the fly, but the driver!

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

Mark,

You two always seem to get onto some nice fish stemming from finding beautiful water. The only easy day was yesterday, from log climbing one day right into a wind tunnel the next. However, being rewarded by 20” specimens seems well worth the wind burn. Thank you for sharing!

The only solution to your payment dilemma I can conjure up is to heavily insist that you would love to graciously ghillie more than you already are and somehow get yourself into a place where you are entrusted to tie her knots… underhanded, but paying for dinner is paying for dinner!

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Mark,

I have the same err…problem. My wife continually out fishes me. She can find tarpon in rain water and trout in irrigation ditches.

Great to be married to my fishing buddy. Not so great…every time I acquire a new rod there better be one waiting for her too!😩😎👍

Richard, the fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

If you are going to have problems in life, then certainly this is one of the very best problems to have. Keep on slapping leather at the restaurant, and racking up points on the credit card. Enjoy!
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

My hat off to Martha and her Winston magic wand once again! Looks like you made out quite well yourself Mark with your Blackburn given the conditions. Great to see you guys enjoying life in Bozeman still.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Use her rod next time Mark! :D

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
08/11/22 10:20
Use her rod next time Mark! :D
Ha! Yes, there may be some magic to that. :)

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

I like your outlook on life. Well played.

rosc78

Post by rosc78 »

I have a similar situation with my wife whenever we have a contest. When she wins--she wins. When I win, she still wins!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”