First Bamboo Rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

tonymccall
Sport

First Bamboo Rod

Post by tonymccall »

I’m new here, and new to bamboo, but I’m an avid fly fisherman and have been since I was just a kid fishing with my Dad. I’ve always wanted to get into bamboo but thought it was cost prohibitive. Then I discovered blue collar bamboo!

I made my first purchase last month and got a really nice Southbend 359 Dry Fly Action 8 1/2 foot post-war bamboo rod. I believe I’ve identified it as dating to 1950, based on the thread wraps and the reel seat.

The thread wraps all look good. The ferrules are tight and they separate with a nice audible pop. I also managed to pick up a Southbend Finalist 1144 dual drag reel that matches the rod well.

Last edited by tonymccall on 08/15/22 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

tonymccall
Sport

Re: First Bamboo Rod

Post by tonymccall »

I took it to the river shortly after I got it and was really pleased with the action. Needless to say, I’m hooked!

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

That is an awesome setup! Welcome!

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

That looks like a fun combination. Those rods cast really well.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

There are some really nice rods out there that won't break the bank. Glad you found one. I got started with a W&M Granger 8 1/2 footer. Keep catchin' 'em!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

tonymccall
Sport

Post by tonymccall »

Caneghost wrote:
08/16/22 05:38
There are some really nice rods out there that won't break the bank. Glad you found one. I got started with a W&M Granger 8 1/2 footer. Keep catchin' 'em!
Thanks! This is what I was looking for when I blundered into the big rods that I'm about to try to repair/restore.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”