Hex Hatch in New England

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Hex Hatch in New England

Post by creakycane »

Anyone know about this book on Hex hatch fishing?
330 pages. Now that’s a bunch on Hex fishing stuff. Any info much appreciated. Thx.
Last edited by creakycane on 09/01/22 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

FLY FISHING THE HEX HATCH by ​Leighton Wass​

Post by creakycane »

OK - I purchased a copy direct from the publisher with free shipping. Shipped quickly.
If you frequent Northern New England during Hex time, there is much info on specific Hex fishing opportunities. Bits on Hex biology, experiences on hex timing and specifics on ponds and lakes (mostly). Part memoir, part hexology. A chapter on fly patterns. I have read bits and pieces and look forward to a closer look (perhaps before I venture north in the coming year or 2). Good voice and enthusiasm from the little I've read. Support a small press!

https://www.northcountrypress.com/fly-f ... hatch.html

hatch
Master Guide

Re: Hex Hatch in New England

Post by hatch »

Here is what I know about the Hex hatch in Maine. More natives refer to this hatch as the green drake hatch rather than the Hex hatch. Speaking in terms of ponds, depending on spring weather conditions, and how far north your are in Maine, the hex hatch might start anywhere from the first of July to about the 15th of July and continue for a couple weeks (give or take). If you are fishing a popular pond get out to "your spot" and drop anchor about 6:00 pm. If you are on an unfamiliar pond take note of where in the woods you entered the pond. After dark you are going to need to know where to exit the pond and find the trail head. At 6:00 you will be there posted up on your favorite spot while late comers take the second best spot. Sometimes you can hear them curse you. Sound travels on a pond at night. Hexes can come off on one part of a pond and not another. Choose your favorite spot and practice your casting for a while. From 7:00 to 8:00 you should see a couple of hexes come off the water. This might be the time to fish your hex emergers. During this "pre game" period I have had luck letting my fly lay dead in the water. Don't strip it , don't twitch it, Just let it sit quietly. The tough thing is being alert when the strike happens. Its very easy to loose concentration. If you don't see a little activity between 7 and 8 it's not a good sign. This is the time to test your flashlight. If you hiked in to the pond you will be fishing this hatch until after dark and you're going to need a good flashlight to get out. If your flashlight doesn't work your screwed. You now have to leave in time to hike back to your vehicle before dark. You are going to miss the show. You can always bring 2 flashlights. The most common mistake I see is people leaving the pond before the hatch gets going. If your there to fish the hex hatch be ready to fish close to or after dark. Just because the hatch has started doesn't mean It's going to go gang busters every night. It can take a night or two off or at least a night or two of weak hatches. If you're lucky, about 8:00 you start seeing a few more hexes surface and get gobbled up. By 8: 30 have 2 rods loaded with the fly of your choice. About 8:45 things might start happening. My fly of choice is not a hex during a hex hatch it's a #10 royal coach wulff. This hatch can continue well after dark and the white wing on the royal coach wulff is , at least, somewhat visible after dark. Maine brook trout are not geniuses. A good hex hatch has them competing with each other and going a little bit nuts. Almost anything you throw will attract attention. I know you die hard fly tiers don't want to hear this but it is my experience. The hatch "prime time" may only be 15 minutes but the hatch can linger until well after dark. It helps to see your offering as long as possible. After dark you are going to mainly fish by by hearing but this is when I've caught larger fish. During these hatches I still hit rises. Maybe I just cant help myself. Having two rods loaded helps when your line balls up, which tends to happen in darkness, or you snap off your fly . Instead of taking 10 minutes during prime hatch time (or more if it's dark) untying a knot in your line or tying on a new fly, you can take 30 seconds and reach for your second rod and keep on fishing and not miss a beat. Usually after 10:00 things start to die down but as you paddle back to shore keep your rod loaded and handy so you can hit that odd rise or two that you always see on your way back to shore. Now, with your flash light, you can get to your take out point on shore and the trail head. You can get your stuff packed up, and pick your way on the woods trail back to your vehicle for a nice cold beer. (Many of these Maine ponds mean a 45 min or more, hike in the dark).

There, this wasn't 300 pages but I hit the high spots. None of this is etched in stone. Approach fly fishing hex hatches in ponds anyway you want. I'm not saying I'm right. Of the 200 lakes and ponds in Maine that the "Maine Fish and Wildlife Department" has designated "Fly Fishing Only" I've fished 185 of them. I've put in the hours. Through trial and error this is what I've learned. I hope you don't make the same mistakes I did. Good luck! !

I thought of something. I mentioned that hex hatches may take place on one part of a large pond and not another. Keep your eyes to the sky. Anywhere on the pond where you see birds leaving the shore, flying part way out on the pond and then returning to shore. These birds are feeding on the rising hexes. The birds will pick the hexes off 20 or 30 feet in the air. They will show you where the hatch is.

Low Profile
Guide

Post by Low Profile »

I ran across this post earlier today, forgot where it was posted, and finally found it. Realize we are fast heading out of dry fly season but wanted to comment for anyone looking into next season.

Agree with Hatch on everything (and all hilariously true) and just want to add that don't forget about having some flies with black post wings. If there is any amount of sunlight or moon light, and you are at the correct angle, you can see tall black post wings on the water better than anything else. This not only applies to the hex hatch but all late evening hatches. Sounds absurd but is true and the fish don't care. If the surface of the water in the desired fly delivery area is gray colored use the black winged flies. If you can't see the water surface (or it looks like a mirror) use white or florescent green wings. I tie my hex spinners with both huge black and lighter colored post wings so I am ready for the conditions. My 2 cents added to the realities of the hex hatch described above.

Hatch, I have to ask if you get any sporadic hex hatches late season up there in late august thru september? We do here in central NY in some of the rivers and the flies are huge in low volume but with mesmerizing spinner falls.

Tx, Low Profile

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Low Prophile, I cannot say the true Hex hatch or hexes in general stretch into August or September. There are other different types of "May Flies" that come off into August but not hexes to my knowledge.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I bring 2 fly rods to the local hex hatch here in WA state. 1. sinking line pre-rigged with hex nymph 2. floating line pre-rigged with hex emerger or hex cripple. Start getting takers on the nymph about 1 hour before I see surface activity.

Even with the larger flies, once it becomes to dark for me to see, I switch rods rather than try to re-rig after I mess up or break a fly off. I find the fish will continue to take nymphs concurrently with the surface bite.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Just a side note: there are other Hex species that can be fairly abundant and they don't hatch all at the same time.

In Wisconsin the below have been documented in our northern trout streams and/or lakes:

Hexagenia atrocaudata
Hexagenia bilineata
Hexagenia limbata
Hexagenia rigida
Litobrancha recurvata (Dark Eastern Green Drake)

I have witnessed several times Hexagenia atrocaudata in late August.

No idea for Maine but I would bet there are several different large mayfly species people are all calling "Hexagenia limbata".

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I guess that's why we call the July Hex hatch in Maine "Green Drakes". They are the unmistakable big green ones with a wing the size of your thumbnail. I have managed to fish all my life and never cluttered the sport up with too much technical jargon. I understand that this is a whole branch of fly fishing that brings people great pleasure. That's a wonderful thing. Have at it! I've always just put my vest on , pushed my canoe off from the shore or waded out on the river until my butt got cold, and waited to see what was happening. Kinda played it by ear.
I think the most important thing is to fish as often as you can. The law of averages says the more time you spend on the water, the better chance that dumb luck is going to put you in the right place at the right time. I think that by spending as much time on the water( or in the water) as you can, you have already struck it rich.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Tom, I've always loved your useful, practical, funny, and time-earned advice. I'd fish with you until my butt got cold any day! Thanks!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Tom, what Rupert said, X2. When does your book come out? Love it, and based on my VERY limited experience, 100% spot on. Thanks for the chuckle.

Return to “Book Talk”