Fishing near Sun Valley, ID

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fishing near Sun Valley, ID

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Bill;

Thanks. I have spent decades fly fishing with my wife and I love every moment of it. Mostly. She is a retired Navy Commander and believe me, she knows her own mind. Don't think for a moment she'll tie on a BWO fly just because they might be coming off the water - or that I suggested it to her. Nope. She might do that, but she might decide to fish a bass popper or a grasshopper, etc. She "marches" to her own drum. And, as likely as not, she will out-fish me or get skunked - and think it was an awesome day, either way. Silver Creek was a single example! :)

Pat

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

The time has passed, but I leave this post which may be useful to someone in the future:

Note that this applies to fishing around and after Labor Day:

Park at the bridge at the upper end of the preserve. This is Stalker Creek, one of the streams that forms Silver Creek.

Fishing upstream from the bridge has been the most productive for me.

Hoppers rule in the afternoon at this time of the year. 3x is appropriate for these hopper eaters.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Pat, night crawlers would have been good, too.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

PYochim - except she won't touch a worm. Not even a San Juan Worm! :)

Pat

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

dublhaul wrote:
08/27/22 17:35
Apologies for further derailing the thread, but I just remembered another Silver Creek trip. It was a quiet day, and so I decided to use my Howells 7' 3" for 3-wt rod (yeah, that quiet). I was standing in the stream, watching a couple of fish rising, when two anglers walked by on the other side of the stream. I said "Hi", and they returned the greeting. Then one asked "Whose rod are you fishing?" I thought that a bit odd as the opening of a conversation, but replied "A Howells 7'3" for 3 wt." To which the questioner replied, "Oh" . . . [with a clearly condescending pause] . . . "we are fishing Paynes", and continued walking along the stream.
I hafta laff, ahahaha.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I hate Silver Creek so much. I may go on Yelp about it.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I have been reading Mike Lawson’s Spring Creeks and his section on pods of fish on page 222 describes exactly the conditions in which I was fishing…and I had no idea where my fly was at any given time!

Cheers,
Joe

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I would suggest not to look over Rene’s books because of their price. Honestly, I’d happily pay double the asking price for his books. In my opinion Mike Lawson’s book is okay, But it’s nothing like Rene’s. His fly photos alone are worth the price of the book.

Jake

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I have only fished there Labor Day and after.

A.M: Point of Rocks. Trick hatch.
Followed by Loviing Creek for a blanket Tricohatch, followed by Callabaetis and Olives. This will hold you until 2-3 PM.

Then, it’s up to Stalker Creek.
Park at the bridge and Hopper fish upstream. Be sure you have LOt of Hoppers, and use 3x. There are fish over 30 inches here.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”