Redditch question for our cousins across The Pond

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Redditch question for our cousins across The Pond

Post by jeffkn1 »

Where can you send me to find information on the growth of the tackle industry in Redditch? It seems like whenever I turn around I bump into yet another 'oh- they-were-in-Redditch' answer to a UK rod mystery question. I'm curious about the range of products made for anglers there. The needles/hooks connection is pretty easy to see, but where did the other companies come from and what attracted them to Redditch? What book serves as a good reference for that?

stecal

Re: Redditch question for our cousins across The Pond

Post by stecal »

If you are ever in the area, The Redditch Forge Mill Needle (& fish hook) Factory Museum is a neat place. Needle & fish hook manufacturing were very related - both relying on drawn wire. https://www.forgemill.org.uk/web/

Whitefish Press
Owner

Post by Whitefish Press »

After the nice reaction to my book on Samuel Allcock, I am working on a book about Redditch tackle makers but it will probably be some years before it reaches the end stage. Fascinating stuff!

-- Dr. Todd

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Whitefish Press wrote:
08/27/22 16:23
After the nice reaction to my book on Samuel Allcock, I am working on a book about Redditch tackle makers but it will probably be some years before it reaches the end stage. Fascinating stuff!

-- Dr. Todd
Thank you.
I suspected the list of makers was probably pretty long.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

If Canada qualifies as 'across the pond' there is some info here Jeff.

God Save The Queen

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... -departed/

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Jeff,
"Redditch and the Needle District in old photographs" by Raymond Saunders. Although this is not the source of tackle in Redditch it is a good pictorial of what was going on, the size of the needle, hook, tackle manufacturing is incredible. I'd be happy to send it to you if you're interested.

Dr Todd's own book "The History of the Fish Hook in America" includes some good detail about the Redditch industry.
Dr Todd's old blog has a number of pieces on specific manufacturers like S. Allcock. https://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/200 ... -1888.html

And searches on the digitized book systems will turn up a lot of info.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Thank you Bill and Royce

I have a billhead from William Mills, dated a year or so after they inked the deal with Leonard. It's worth noting that the words Fishing Tackle and Needles were in large type prominently located under the Mills name,while in the margin above the header, in a relatively small font, were the words Sole Agents for Leonard fly rods, etc. And upper right hand corner proclaims that their manufactories were in Redditch and Central Valley.
It almost appears needles and hooks were still more important than fishing rods.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Jeff,

Cool document there. I can't quite decipher what exactly the order is for? Can you--or anyone? I am reading: "2 Grs [gross?] Silk Lines 15 ft. Hanks #1 All Green."

The "#1" doesn't seem right to me--could be something else there.

What exactly would this be?

bb

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

bb
#1 is the size of the line.
example:

Charlie
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Thanks, Charlie!

What's your guess that these 15' hanks of #1 green silk would be used for? Does anyone have an old Mills catalogue that might offer some clues?

Thanks,
bb

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

They are in the 1909 Mills' catalogue, but it does not say what they are used for (at least from these old eyes read).
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

Part of the reason Redditch became a centre for needle manufacturing is that the London guild "The Worshipful Company of Needle Makers" was against any industrial innovation that might threaten their control, including the use of machinery so some makers went elsewhere. Brass manufacturers may have experienced similar issues.

The attached images are from another famous Redditch firm. A William Bartleet & Sons invoice for fishhooks and needles to Mr. Thomas Wood, an Ironmonger in Alnwick.

The invoice is dated July 4th, 1838 and includes a signed letter from William Bartleet describing the shipping details of the order.
"By Railway to Manchester, hence by wagon."

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Great paper, Bill.
Now there's a good question for the Jeopardy staff. What material was elastic in 1838?
I keep forgetting about the guild thing. Not my fault.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

jeffkn1 wrote:
10/02/22 07:47
Great paper, Bill.
Now there's a good question for the Jeopardy staff. What material was elastic in 1838?
I keep forgetting about the guild thing. Not my fault.
India rubber strands used in knitting elastic fabric - naturally.
And that is great paper.

Return to “Book Talk”