Net bag replacement

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

grousechaser

Net bag replacement

Post by grousechaser »

Hi folks. I have a very old, very nice wood teardrop net that I would like to replace the bag with a fish friendly material. It seems the clear rubber replacement bags don't have the proper shape, size or anchor points. Can someone chime in with a suggestion on how to finish my project?

woody osborne
Guide

Re: Net bag replacement

Post by woody osborne »

go to janns, search for replacement nets. get one closest to your ideal size.
get the lashing twine for $0.99 also. lots of options.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

grousechaser

Post by grousechaser »

Thank you Cappy and Woody.

grousechaser

Post by grousechaser »

Thanks fellas but i continue to struggle...I don't want a rubber replacement net. I would like to replace with a black nylon fine mesh net. There is nothing that I can find as a replacement. Is it possible to send this to a Net maker that offers that type of net material and have them do an install since I can't a replacement net by itself? as you can see this net has brass fittings and it was well cared for over the years but i took the cotton bag off because it would have been brutal on the fish.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

grousechaser wrote:
08/30/22 10:35
Thanks fellas but i continue to struggle...I don't want a rubber replacement net. I would like to replace with a black nylon fine mesh net. There is nothing that I can find as a replacement. Is it possible to send this to a Net maker that offers that type of net material and have them do an install since I can't a replacement net by itself? as you can see this net has brass fittings and it was well cared for over the years but i took the cotton bag off because it would have been brutal on the fish.

I'm sure you can find a custom net maker to replace the netting with something that will make you happy. That being said, don't be surprised at what they will charge, and if you need to ship it, not cheap either. Would have to be a very special net for me to do that, after all they are simply nets, unless this one has sentimental value, and you want it to look original. I use the Measurenet replacement netting for all my nets, zip on, zip off and they measure the fish without handling them. I use both the nylon and rubber netting depending on the net.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

You could buy a cheap wood landing net from Amazon for about $40 and strip the bag for your frame. Yardage stores seem to stock similar nylon mesh material. Shouldn't, be too hard to find someone who could sew 2 pieces together and hem the top. Lashing is quite simple.

Something to consider is that the fine nylon mesh bags have more drag in the water than the larger mesh rubber bags. It makes a difference in swift water. Nylon is lighter, rubber heavier.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

drifly
Sport

Post by drifly »

Go to fly fishingnets.net, shop replacement net I believe he has what your looking for.

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

that is a fine looking net. i'd get it fixed up, too.

grousechaser

Post by grousechaser »

Thanks all! I found a great replacement catch and release net from Sam Lacinta nets. I also embedded a scrimshaw Mayfly in the handle so it looks fancy. The net is probably 60 years old so it has good juju.

grousechaser

Post by grousechaser »

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”