Photographing bamboo fly rods, etc.

This forum is for the discussion of photographic equipment used to photograph fish, tackle and flies. Please share with us what you use to do this.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

nataliadonnelly

Photographing bamboo fly rods, etc.

Post by nataliadonnelly »

I am planning on cataloguing my vintage fly rods. However, I am unsure how to properly take photos.
Is anyone know of a site that might provide a "how to"?
Thanks

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Photographing bamboo fly rods, etc.

Post by Flykuni3 »

I'd look at dealer's sites, many do great photography of items offered.

Reels and small things can go into the light box, but rods are a little harder: several shots are needed to show details, because a whole rod shot looks far away like it's on the moon even if you enlarge. Those are usually the very last shot I'll look at. Good detail shots of seat and handle, ferrules and tips are important to me. For what it's worth, am big on the "you are there" sort of onstream shot. Does two things for me, records the rod and reel, and reminds me that yes, I was indeed there, fishing. Mike Clark 6 1/2' DT3 3/2, made c. 1996.

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Post by uniphasian »

Depends on the reason. If you intend on focusing on esthetics,I would tend to highlight the things that make that rod unique. The wraps, reel seat, grip, ferrules, any script, etc. If you want to list it for sale, those same items are important - but also show the rod sections lined up perfectly alongside the tube so it is evident that there are no short sections, that the guides line-up on matching tips, and show any wear on the ferrules, guides, grip, seat, etc.

If you really just want to know how to take a good photo, good luck.

~Uni

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

We could be more helpful if we knew your intentions, prior experience, and available equipment. I will assume that by "cataloging" your rods, you wish to create a visual record that documents their characteristics. In general, you will want to photograph your rods against a neutral background so that the colors are more likely to be accurately perceived. A warm gray background without distracting patterns or textures is often best. Include a ruler or scale if measurements are important. To photograph smaller details, research macrophotography techniques that apply to your equipment. For lighting, you may want to research techniques used in jewelry photography, since polished hardware and varnished cane are highly reflective (look into the concept of "tenting" to control the lighting of your subject). An outdoor photo of the rod in use can help show why certain features were important to catalog. Cropping, color correction and electronic sharpening of the image can be immediately achieved in your device, or subsequently on your laptop, using graphic arts software.

Paul H. Young 9'2" 3/2 salmon rod

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Morten

Post by Morten »

@quashnet

Very nice and informative pictures

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

You're welcome to see how I approached the subject...

https://ronraport.smugmug.com/Classic-F ... ic-Tackle/

troybuz
Sport

Post by troybuz »

Great work Ron!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Superb Photos of Classic Gear

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Celebrate the NEW YEAR by clicking that link on post # 6 above

Agreed - that is just superb Ron!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Thanks Brian! I also am occasionally feeding new photos onto an Instagram site. When I started the site a couple years ago I thought an easy to remember name would be good and amazingly the name "dryflyphotography" had never been taken by anyone. So if interested please search @dryflyphotography for my Instagram page. So far over 2,400 folks have begun "following" the site which makes it a satisfying thing to do as yet another hobby.

My photography website, ronraport.smugmug.com, is much broader based and includes landscape photography, travel photography, sports, guitars, and some people photography. It is fun to sometimes check my photo viewing activity to see if any photos are being viewed and how often. Looking back at last year, the site had over 172,000 "photo views" and looking at specific galleries, the most popular was "Classic Gear" with 15,197. Thank you to all of you who have kindly taken a look at the images. Hopefully in 2024 I'll get a chance to create a few more...especially if any friends around Seattle (or elsewhere) lend me their gear for a few photo sessions.

Cheers!

Jersey boy
Sport

Post by Jersey boy »

Wow, Ron! Amazing, both the fly fishing equipment and the travel and . . well, I could go on. Spectacular photography. That represents A LOT of effort and hard work. I lived in The Palouse while in college at WSU (a very long time ago) but did not recognize the waterfall. If only I'd known about that.
Mitch

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

A seldom seen and simple idea - use all cork.

Rod is a JL Weir & Sons / Los Gatos era
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Always photograph the mishaps.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Wow Brian, that's just sad... :-[

Return to “Photography”