Awakening

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Erik F. Helm
Guide

Awakening

Post by Erik F. Helm »

I hope a few people get as much inspiration by reading this as I did writing it! Short little story about a very old rod that is reborn. I was lucky enough to be there with it in my hand!
Enjoy!
Link to my writing blog (safe for all):
https://classicangler.blogspot.com/2022 ... ening.html

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: Awakening

Post by driftless angler »

Loved it!!!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Very nice!
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Erik F. Helm
Guide

Post by Erik F. Helm »

Glad you two enjoyed it! It takes a few minutes to read, which is more attention span than most people have. Thank you again for the comments!
Sort of Hemingway meets Shel Silverstein? ;)

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Read and enjoyed. "... and dreamed of things it knew not about." just wonderful.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Now I have to wonder if my rods are conspiring in their tubes as to which one should be in the front of the rack. Nice sentiments giving an old rod a new lease on life with the rightful owner. I have such a rod and it was restored by my mentor in rods who recently passed. Fishing that rod means much more than the tactile experience itself. Some folks can't relate to all of this sadly.

Thanks for the link!

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Well done!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Excellent! I enjoyed the different perspective, as well as the resurrection itself! Thanks both to the author and to the poster for sharing it!

Arctic-Grayling
Guide

Post by Arctic-Grayling »

Reminiscent of one of John Geirach’s stories, don’t remember from which book though. Will re-read his books in the remaining dark days of winter.
I enjoyed the AWAKENING.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I'm sorry that I missed this back when you first posted it. I just read it and enjoyed it immensely. Very well done.
This kind of reminds me of the Granger 9050 that I purchased in 2017 and didn't fish until Father's Day 2021. I fished it on a river that it was too much rod for, at a time of day where I had almost no hope of catching any fish. I just wanted to cast it. Magic was in the air that day, as I caught about 4 fish in an hour and formed a new bond with that rod. And like the rod in the story, mine sits in a wooden cabinet in its case, waiting for me to take it out again.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”