A couple one piece rods

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Bill T
Guide

A couple one piece rods

Post by Bill T »

Was challenged last fall to make longer one piece rod for spring creeks in the Driftless region. Well I had other things going on for a while but finally got around to making a few. First was an 8' 1 piece 4 weight hollow quad rod. I knew it would be a little challenging due to the length of the strips, but thought it is only four strips of bamboo so should be tolerable. Wow was I wrong. The flaming was the only thing that went easily on this rod. Splitting and beveling strips that were wide enough at the butt for the dimensions lead to a lot of work planing at the tips. Straightening strips was a pain. Setting planing forms 4 times to plane strips that are longer than the forms was fun. eventually it came together nicely and was very pleased with action. This rod eventually found its way to a friend. I mad a 2 piece 7'9" quad with most of the remaining culm. I then thought hey I have a enough strips left for another one piece...

Well I guess the first rod wasn't painful enough so I decided this time to make one even longer at 8'3" 4 weight hollow hex. The hex was easier to split and bevel. It was also easier to plane. But gluing a rod with .058 final dimension tip that was 102" long caused some concern going through the binder. then wrapping guides was another trying experience to wrap the guides while the weight of the rod is pulling hard the other direction. Ohh yeah I don't have a dipping tube that would fit a 8+ foot rod so hand rubbing finish on the rod was another learning experience.

Ok feels like a rant here, but I will say that the actions of 1 piece rods are special and now after having completed the work I am pleased with the action. Will post a few photos below

Bill

Flamed Culm

8' 1 piece quad

8'3" 1 piece hex

full rod shot

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A couple one piece rods

Post by ibookje »

Always wondered how a one piece rod would cast and fish.
Looks great Bill!

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Quite the accomplishment!

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

You driftless guys should come to NRG on Sept 22-24.
Bring those quads with you.
Scott

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Beautiful, Bill. We'll miss you next week, good luck on your trip!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

I'm sure they fish as wonderfully as they look. Wow! Especially the matching of dark flaming to reel seat color.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Very nice! I fish and prefer one piece rods....

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

BillT you mentioned the one piece to be "special" could you please explain that in more detail if your able to? I'm interested because I'm setting up my bb rod diy equipment to make one piece rods.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Theyre special because the action isn't influenced by the ferrules.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I'd love to see the arc of a one piece in that length. With no ferrules it has to be incredibly smooth? How would one describe the action - parabolic or leaning the other direction? Simply amazing and absolutely beautiful craftsmanship at a high level. Wow!!!

AlexX!!
Sport

Post by AlexX!! »

Your Post gave my heart a smile,
I mainly build onpiece rods, but my limit is arrond 2 meters (~6´6´) which is the lengt of my planing form.
with this limit, the strips are well manageable, even hollowed, also the rods are quite easy to transport and store,
with 7ft and above everything steps to an other level.

cheers

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”