Eastern half of PA must carry trout flies

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PAGH
Guide

Eastern half of PA must carry trout flies

Post by PAGH »

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well and coping in spite of the drought conditions here in PA and elsewhere. I am relatively new to fly fishing and have really enjoyed learning from the vast knowledge base of the forum membership that is so generously shared.

95% of my trout fishing is freestone streams in the eastern half of PA; draw a north to south line from western Potter county to the southern border. I fish both stocked and wild trout streams.

For what it’s worth and in fairness the flies I have found helpful include: EH Caddis, CDC BWO Midge, Traditional March Brown, AuSable Wulff, Royal Wulff, PT nymph, GRHE nymph, Ants and beetles.

For those of you willing to share I would appreciate what dries, wets, nymphs, etc. you consider necessary to carry for this region.

Thank you in advance for sharing!

PAGH

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Eastern half of PA must carry trout flies

Post by bassman »

Never fished the waters you get to but in fishing I have done over the years in various trout streams and stillwaters you list is good but I always carried and used various soft hackle flies, Royal Coachman and Mickey Finn streamers, and in stillwater ponds up north in the evenings a Muddler Minnow in the old natural colors Dan Gapen did them in. Also, I don't see you mentioning that old standby Wooly Bugger in olive or black in various sizes.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Letort Cricket and Hopper in size 16, BWO parachute sizes 16-22, X-Caddis sizes 16 and 18 in black and tan would be good flies to have in the region.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Henryville Special and Breadcrust and some assorted flymphs by Leisenring and Hidy.

Tight Lines- Ken

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

#10 Dunn Variant, both dry and wet. #14 PED spinner. #12 Black Ant. #12 Price Nymph.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

And don't forget the "GREEN WEENIE'.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

Expsp4043
Sport

Post by Expsp4043 »

I fish the same area that you have outlined and in the early season I have a good deal of success with the Bug Bug in size 12 to 16!

Expsp4043
Sport

Post by Expsp4043 »

That's Zug Bug, sorry for the typo!

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Thank you to everyone who responded.

PAGH

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

For nymphs here in NEPA, Hare's ear and PT are very effective, as are Walt's Worms. In Euro or traditional weighted.
Mike B

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”