what to do with Signature wraps during a bamboo rod restoration

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

FlyRdman4990

what to do with Signature wraps during a bamboo rod restoration

Post by FlyRdman4990 »

Hello,

I'm a custom Rod builder buy attempting to restore a bamboo rod for a friend and need some suggestions on how to handle signature wraps, any way to carefully resurface the blank around the signature wraps without having to remove and redo them? I have a couple guides missing and so am to replace the guides and guide wraps to Match. My friend understands that his wraps won't look exactly the same and I did confirm that this Wright Mcgill is not a high value antique rod, it just has sentimental value as his grandfather own it. So I know how to replace the cork grip, reel seat ,guides, tip top and the ferrels are luckily in good shape. But what on earth do I do with the signature wraps ,multiple on this rod and still be able to revarnsh the blank??

Thanks for your time responding, appreciate any suggestions.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: what to do with Signature wraps during a bamboo rod restoration

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Which W/M rod is it?

Jay Edwards

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

I was wondering what Wright McGill as well. And if doing a restore why not redo all guide wraps so they are the same. And am I to understand you are replacing the grip and reel seat?

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I have re-varnished multiple rods, saving the wraps, using Citristrip to remove the old varnish, a clean up with denatured alcohol, applications of color preserver, and then 2 or 3 coats of fresh varnish. I learned this method from a well known rod restoration person on this forum and he likes Citristrip because it is very mild. Of course, this is all done very carefully.

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

If by "resurface" you mean strip the old varnish, sometimes 91% rubbing alcohol works well. You leave the sig wraps in place and rub off that area more gingerly. Rubbing alcohol may even leave color preserver in place. Clean up with mineral spirits and you're ready to revarnish. The script then is what needs the most caution.

AnglersCane
Guide

Post by AnglersCane »

There's NO way to replace the cork handle from the ferrule side w/o removing the winding check, which requires you to remove the signature wraps 1st.

As stated above, rewrap the entire rod with new, matching thread, including the sig. wraps. IF you decide you don't care to mess with the sig wraps, replace the handle from the reel seat side of the winding check. But be mentally prepared for the butt section to look frankenodd with new and old wraps. For me, there isn't a Goodwin or WM rod that has sig wraps too difficult to rewrap.

YOU haven't yet mentioned which model you're restoring?

A C

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”