is there such thing as a float/fly fishing rod?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

nataliadonnelly

is there such thing as a float/fly fishing rod?

Post by nataliadonnelly »

i am a few years into the hobby now.
i am looking at getting into float fishing and fly fishing. ive noticed that the rod and reels look very similar. is there a combo that can do both float and fly fishing? id rather only by one combo if i can.

HexaMaineiac
Master Guide

Re: is there such thing as a float/fly fishing rod?

Post by HexaMaineiac »

Float tube? Floating in drift boat? Float as is bobber?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Float fishing with a Silex reel and letting a 'bobber/fly/lure/bait' float downstream?

Jay Edwards

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Are we talking about centerpin reel type fishing? drifting a fly or ??? under a float using a free spool centerpin reel?

Carl

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, 'Centerpin,' thanks, I couldn't bring that up earlier.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 11/21/22 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

A centerpin reel looks like a fly fishing reel, but it is not a fly fishing reel. They are typically 4-5 inches in diameter and have no drag. They free spool and are controlled by side pressure from your hand (palming). The rods used for center pin fishing are much longer than a typical fly rod, being in the 10-14 foot length range and are used to flip cast out your rig. One does not cast them as one casts a fly rod. The line for a centerpin setup is a level mono line. There are a number of youtube videos on this type of fishing and fishing tackle shops who cater to the centerpin crowd. I also believe this type of fishing began in Europe, so I believe there is more info to be found "across the pond". I would suggest you seek them out.

Best,

Carl

BrunoOJohnson

Post by BrunoOJohnson »

If you are just looking to do some general float fishing on rivers and canals, then a 12 or 13ft match rod should suit you fine.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”