Can we set the record strait on how to pull your rod apart ?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: Can we set the record strait on how to pull your rod apart ?

Post by Godfroy »

It is interesting that Carl mentions Bob Summers.

I have one of Bob Summers' rods, an 856. It has step-down ferrules which reminds me that, if you grip the ferrules rather than the cane, there is usually more male ferrule to get hold of with a step-down ferrule, compared with an equivalent sized Super-Z style ferrule.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

I have had some tight ferrules over the years. Decades ago I had a Leonard 40L that was so tight I thought I had to drive from the Beaverkill to the HLL factory in Central Valley to get relief. Fortunately, I stopped at Walt Dette's, and after some considerable struggle, he got the rod apart. Walt said he saw a lot of stuck rods, usually at the end of the season when club members would bring him sticks (no pun) that had been assembled in April and never disjointed till September.

Walt had a couple of tubs of a ferrule lubricant from a now-gone shop in New Jersey that worked well. But searching the country, I never found any more tins. What really saves the day for me now is The Silver Trouts Ferrule Waxes https://thesilvertrout.com/shop/ols/pro ... errule-wax. I keep one in the car and if a ferrule feels the slightest bit tight, I wipe it thoroughly and put on a dab. They use some high tech microcrystalline waxes in their products and really gets the job done.

tl
les

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Always keep hunks of ivory bar soap in sealable baggies. In car, fishing bag etc. a small amount helps a lot!
A single wipe with 0000 steel wool can do wonders for super tight ferrules.
Latex tubing split down the side to allow it to be a sheath on the rod makes for a great grip.
Behind the knees is fine provided the force is linearly applied and the rod straight.
Be careful when you assemble a rod at one Temp, and try to takedown at another temp.
Sometimes just wiping a layer of oxidation off changes the fit considerably.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

:hat Search Results:
303 protectant - 32 matches
303 protectant + ferrule - 0 matches
nose grease - 36 matches.

Apologies to the OP!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I carry some good latex gloves in my vest. Then my hands wont slip.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

So...it looks like we can NOT set the record straight, which is fine as long as our rods remain straight! :rollin

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use cut up bicycle inner tubes, and together/together and apart/apart. Or another guy or behind my legs or put the tip in a vise and pull like hell.....

Jay Edwards

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Reverse a loop of masking tape the width of your hands ,place one on each side , as close as possible to/on ferrules and pull. It works every time. Removing the tape will take longer than the pop! Cheers,Chet

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

From a Paul H. Young Co. catalogue, "Grasp tightly both parts of ferrule".

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I understand that it would be the better thing to do, but I guess I just don’t have enough strength to pull a rod apart while grass been the fair rules, especially if it is a very tight fit.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I tried the hands on the ferrule technique after reading this. I'm staying with hands together/hands apart method.

As an aside, Paul Young advised cleaning cork grips with gasoline in the catalog above? I'd bet that would push the forums dirty grip lovers over the edge... ;)

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Pulling apart while holding the metal is logically the best method, although I don’t do it. If you are pulling by bamboo you are stressing the glue bond at the ferrule. Probably not an issue, but is you are holding the metal you eliminate that stress
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Mike Spittler has a little pocket sewed into his rod bags that holds a tiny bar of soap. He believes in rubbing the soap onto the ferrules to make the transitions easier.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I'm in the hands together/hands apart camp, I think the force is most linear in this configuration and avoids unwanted lateral stress on the ferrules. But I suspect there'll always be other schools of thought on this matter.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”