AL tube alternatives

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

AL tube alternatives

Post by WIHEXROD »

With the loss of Landmark tubes, I was wondering what other options are available.
Wood, pvc, carbon fiber?
What about a return to bags and form cases?
Any thoughts?
Scott

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: AL tube alternatives

Post by GrayHackleRods »

I’ve started using PVC tube from Formufit, they make tubes for outdoor furniture. Add a nice wooden plug for the bottom and a removable plug for the top and you have a near indestructible tube, plus they come in different colors!
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

It's a very simple process to make a wooden tube and depending on the wood used can be very beautiful and a fine companion to a bamboo rod. I've made more than 100 tubes of hexagonal or octagonal cross sectional design.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

REC Components makes rod tubes to order, you can choose lenght within 1/2" plus the type of hardware and tube finish you want. Up until about a year ago, if you stuck to basic components and a mill finish, they were pretty affordable. I've bought 8 or 10 from them and have always been satisfied. Not sure about current pricing but worth checking out.
Last edited by fisherman911 on 09/16/22 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

viewtopic.php?t=144285

I asked the same question in another thread and I was surprised that there were at least three places where aluminum tubes are sold still. I'll miss Ron, though. I'm also kind of attached to aluminum tubes and alternative materials don't interest me but that's a "me" problem.

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Currently in the classified section is a Sage rod with a brookie painted al tube. Thought it looked nice..

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Custom Fly Rod crafters has tubes and socks. Not cheap but they have socks specifically made for two tip boo rods
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

Being retired and looking for things to do in the shop I made/make hex wooden tubes for all my rods. Router table with one of those special bits for a lapped hex joint. My bags now come from Clear Creek. They will make bags in any configuration you want. The wooden hex tubes are just a bit bigger in diameter than the Al tube but I have not found that to be a problem. I like the feel of the wood tubes. Bald cypress makes lightweight tubes. Walnut makes a nice tube. Wooden tubes take time but cost me less than Al tubes with what shipping charges are these days.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Bill, wood tubes are great, but what if you drop out of the back of the car when rigging up or putting away? Because of the grain, couldn't it split open? Not trying to be a pain, just wondering. I am considering making a few wood hex rod tubes that I can open on the side to take out a 3pc rod and it occurred to me that, just like a hollowed-out bamboo, it might be a good idea to expoxy a layer of fiberglass into or over the tube for hoop strength.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

These pressure caps remind me of the Heddon expanding cap. The 1 1/2” fit the same size schedule 40 PVC perfectly. I have made several tubes by capping the bottom with a plug and cutting to length. I’m sure that they make them in larger diameters, but for light trout rods, 1 1/2” works fine. I spray a coat of hammered finish “metalized” paint.
Last edited by jim royston on 09/18/22 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Does anyone know where a fellow can get fiberglass tubes?

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Canewrap wrote:
09/17/22 17:29
Bill, wood tubes are great, but what if you drop out of the back of the car when rigging up or putting away? Because of the grain, couldn't it split open? Not trying to be a pain, just wondering. I am considering making a few wood hex rod tubes that I can open on the side to take out a 3pc rod and it occurred to me that, just like a hollowed-out bamboo, it might be a good idea to expoxy a layer of fiberglass into or over the tube for hoop strength.
If you use a stable wood, like maple, cherry or oak, it will be very durable and should not split on you. I have considered a fiberglass application to a beautiful redwood case, since redwood is somewhat fragile when planed so thin. I made a tube of walnut and maple for a friend, and he's carried it on the plane to Alaska twice. Both times I saw it fall in the airport onto a very hard floor and it survived with no problem.
Chris
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Another option is to make a basket-weave tube. It is very cheap but very time-consuming.

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

I have had no trouble with wood tubes splitting or breaking. I think they are stronger to side pressure than the thin Al tubes. I have no worries about dropping the wood tubes. At one time or another I drop everything I own and use. Usually on concrete or rock or asphalt. Reels, rods, tubes, glasses, cameras, nothing seems to escape without drop testing. No tube will withstand backing the car over it. Al tubes are lighter and more compact. I have both wooden and Al tubes that have traveled miles in the back of my 2500 pickup full of trailer camping gear. Both kinds show some wear. Neither has failed. I do it because basically I am too cheap to buy Al tubes now and most of my rods sit in a rack in my office room and look nicer in the wood tubes. Designing something to hold the cap closed was my biggest problem. I use a strip of leather with 2 snaps on it now. And a fairly deep plug on the cap.

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

I have been using PVC vacuum pipe for my rods. It comes 2.0 inches outside diameter with a thin wall about 0.075 inches. Thus it's a lot lighter than standard Schedule 40 plumbing pipe but thick enough to be good protection. I found one source of it online at this link. I haven't actually done any business with them so can't recommend or disrecommend. I have found that standard schedule 40 1.5 inch slip caps, available in hardware stores, can be machined to reduce bulk and make a nice cap that slips on the outside. Note that the 1.5 inch measure is the inside diameter of the pipe it fits. Likewise a 1.25 inch schedule 40 slip cap can be machined to make plug that fits inside the tubing. PVC is very easy to machine.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Good to know Mike. I found a plumbing supply have exactly the same type of pvc pipe on its way to me. I found it in 8ft lengths.

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

Hi all, I use vacuum tubing, does not heat up as much when left in the vehicle, and make an over bag for the tube with a drawstring. Wouldn't trust it in baggage but that is what 3 piece rods are for, to carry aboard the plane. Livingstone.

GANGGREEN
Guide

Post by GANGGREEN »

I'm an amateur woodworker, but I'm sometimes challenged by thinking things through in my head. Does anyone who has built the hexagonal wooden tubes have a simple schematic or could direct me to a video describing the process? I wouldn't think it would be a very difficult project and I'd like to make a few.

Alternately, does anyone have plans for a small table or rack to hold rod tubes in?

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

In searches, I've seen that maybe vintage Hardy made bamboo rod storage tubes, so I wonder why bamboo tubes are not more of a "thing" with makers? Boring out node diaphragms would seem to be eminently solvable in this crowd. What am I missing? Probably not as durable as Al or PVC, but with a proper (Gorilla Glue?) coating and capping system, a modern take on bamboo rod storage tubes - what's not to like? One wouldn't need to use premium Tonkin for tubes, etc.
Thanks for humoring me.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

GANGGREEN wrote:
09/26/22 15:59
I'm an amateur woodworker, but I'm sometimes challenged by thinking things through in my head. Does anyone who has built the hexagonal wooden tubes have a simple schematic or could direct me to a video describing the process? I wouldn't think it would be a very difficult project and I'd like to make a few.

Alternately, does anyone have plans for a small table or rack to hold rod tubes in?
You're right...it's not a difficult project. PM me with your Email address and I'll send you an article I wrote for PowerFibers on the subject.
Chris

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”