need taper for a short (7'-7.5') 8wt.

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

chsparkman
Master Guide

need taper for a short (7'-7.5') 8wt.

Post by chsparkman »

I'm in need of a taper for a very specific situation. While in Alaska last week, the water was high and swift. Add that the bottom was strewn with bowling ball sized rocks and it all made for treacherous wading. Wading was necessary, however, to get out far enough to have backcasting room.
Hooking a coho and making my way to the bank to land it was both difficult and exhausting. One day I decided to stay in my position and land the salmon there in the river, but my short-handled net (necessary so it fits in my duffle) forced me to put quite a bend in my rod, a Payne 400 9' taper. I'm thinking that a 7' rod for 8wt would be a good solution. I know of the Barch 88 and I might modify that if I can't find a 7'. Thanks.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: need taper for a short (7'-7.5') 8wt.

Post by munsey w »

Chris if you have the book Split and Glued by Whittle and Harms, There is a taper by Tom that is for a 7' 7wt. I cast it this past weekend and I think it will handle an 8wt line nicely.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Thanks Munsey, I do have that book and I'll surely check it out!
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I cast that rod too and it is a powerhouse taper!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Nmsg.
Last edited by Canewrap on 09/18/22 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Regarding the OP's described fishing situation- having to 'wade in treacherous waters in order to have room for a backcast- that a two handed 'switch' style fly rod would be the answer, no need wade out at all.

The description of the 'difficult and exhausting' return to the bank to land the fish, would make me most concerned.

Having made, and fished, a few bamboo double handed 3 pce. fly rods from 9' 10" - 12', I find they are generally more versatile, plus pleasant to fish, for river fly fishing use.

Short handled nets do not generally work well with bamboo rods if fishing alone- the high rod plus small tip radius could break or rupture the rod, unless the fish is hand lined into the net. Lightweight, folding/collapsable nets, with telescoping handles 4 1/2' long, are available which can be clipped to a belt or easily attached to a pack.

I would suggest for the conditions and quarry mentioned, a Hardy Wye 11' bamboo rod (or taper) hollowed, coupled with a Rio Scandi Body line (at 23' my favourite by far on bamboo) with a 10' sinking poly. leader at the business end. The Wye is around a #7 (not trout size) so grain weight 350 or 375.

Picking up the required casting technique can also be quite straightforward if coming from single handed rods, as Klaus Frimore explains and demonstrates.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... 6PC%3dAPMC

Bob Clay's videos are also worth watching for both casting and landing fish on shorter (under 12') double handed bamboo fly rods.

Malcolm

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I have been wondering, the last few years, why there aren't more short powerful tapers for fishing warmwater. I am in the process of building a short 7/8 weight for streamers, poppers, and sink tip lines - all qualities needed when fishing for smallmouth in deeper water. And, when that deeper water is in smaller water with a lot of overhanging brush, a short, powerful rod that can rollcast some weight is a real asset. We're not all trout fisherman and some of us would rather design a rod for ourselves than buy and try a host of fiberglass and graphite until we found a rod that would work. There is a Ron Barch taper that is a great rod for this, but I build mine to rollcast a little differently. I can rollcast it dry and get it to lay out line really well.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

I have a 7' Granger Haywood Zephyr that I have not cast, but in doing research on it, it is apparently either a 7 or 8wt depending on the line used and your action preference.

AlexX!!
Sport

Post by AlexX!! »

Hey,

atm I am working on my own 7#7, quite strong butt, will for sure also handle 8wt lines.
I am oiling the Blank right now, when I have cast it and I am ok with the taper design, I can share it.

would be kind If someone could share me the Whittle&Harms taper for comparison with mine.

thanks Alex

AlexX!!
Sport

Post by AlexX!! »

Thank you „blind reader“ for sending me the taper.
but one note… your Mailbox is full, my answer came back. ;-)

Alex

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Oddsnrods, thanks for posting the casting video. Simple n easy who would have thought. Those spey casters are quite beautiful but alot of effort is needed. My wrist n shoulder appreciate it. I've switched my regular rod bass casting to about the same style, using my left hand for the power n right for accuracy. So muscle memory might be there already. I'm building a 7w 9f very old new Loomis blank now and will add a bottom hand so I can use two hands. Now I'll have a casting style to go with it. Thanks again for the vid.

Return to “Taper Exchange”