ID this old rod components

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Kono
Sport

ID this old rod components

Post by Kono »

I just received this rod of my great uncles he was born in 1887 and I don't know thing about it. I was wondering if any one has seen any of these components and know who and when this rod was built. I am going to restore this rod back to original condition. It is a 10' 3" rod tip to bottom.
Thanks for any info

Thanks to some help I have found out this is a Montague rod without a date of organ. I gust wanted to see if anyone has ever seen a barber wrap on a Montague rod I have not been able to find a picture of one. I have attached a pix of the practice wrap I have done hopefully this will help ID this rod completely.
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Kono on 10/02/22 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

William Dunn
Guide

Re: ID this old rod components

Post by William Dunn »

My guess is Montague.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Montague
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Kono
Sport

Post by Kono »

Thank you this help. Now I will see if I can find out when is was built. It will be fun to restore this rod,

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Montague made millions of rods, and so far as anyone knows there is no record denoting when the average rod was produced. That hardware was common in the early 20th century up to perhaps the late Twenties or a bit after, when the whole lineup of rods was overhauled. Without some kind of unique marking somewhere on the rod it's not likely you'll ever find a specific year of production.
All that hardware will shine nicely after being cleaned with 4/0 steel wool and some brass polish. Mask adjacent cork and bamboo with tape first.

Kono
Sport

Post by Kono »

thanks for your help, i was just trying to see if he got this rod after coming back from WW1 or if he had it before he went to France.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”