Deciding on a reel.

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Dallasblues
Sport

Deciding on a reel.

Post by Dallasblues »

Hey everyone. I recently bought a beautiful 4/5 wt bamboo rod from a member here on the forum and could use some help deciding on a reel. So far, I’m looking at an old Pflueger Medalist 1494 or a new Orvis Battenkill II click reel. Any thoughts on those? Is there something else in the $150 or less price range I should consider? Not sure how much this matters but I like simple designs and classic looks. Also will mostly be used for trout and panfish.

Thanks!

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Deciding on a reel.

Post by bugslinger »

What’s the length of the rod? The diameter and weight decides which reel plus personal choice. You already set the price so that will also limit your choices....

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Make sure that Pflueger will fit on the reel seat. The standard feet are too large for a lot of seats and I had all of mine retrofitted with replacements from Robert Selb. I don't think you can go wrong with the Pflueger Medalist or a Gem 2094

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

As stated in the past, I like the prewar Shaker Russells. Classic look, excellent double spring adjustable check and certainly within your budget. Getting harder to find of late but not imposible. Good luck.

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

Agree with Steeliefool.

I would think the Hardy lightweight series LRH, fly weight and their Heddon clones. Also Battenkill Mark lll, and Sci Angler originials System 5&6.
Even the Hardy Lightweights can be had used with a lot of mojo and fully functional in your range.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Check out some of the JW Young reels. I think the Beaudex series of reels may fit your needs . True English classics.

Doug

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Three and half times the cost of the fly rod is the general rule.
Oh wait - that is not right al all.
It's five times. :x

For those not keeping up with the Murphy's, you can hang anything on there you want. Your choices mentioned seem just fine. Simple.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Hi Brian: Think you are right, probably about 5X cost of rod. Maybe should save some $ by using an import line. Good call. Joe here

salterlee
Sport

Post by salterlee »

I would second the vote for a Hardy LRH, they look great even when they're beat up and used and are very versatile. They look good with most cane and I find that I fuss around with lots of more expensive reels on different rods, but often go back to the LRH because it works well weight-wise, capacity-wise and looks—that's why I have a few of them. You didn't mention the length of your rod but I find an LRH works well for rod 8 1/2" and under. Good luck!

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

It’s a bit over your budget, but you cannot go wrong with a JLH.

A nice Battenkill might fit the bill.

Return to “Classic Reels”