Mass vintage bamboo rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

George

Mass vintage bamboo rods

Post by George »

Folks,

I started fly fishing at end of July 2022 (yup). First time ever fly fishing I caught six fish on my (new) vintage rods. These are not expensive. An I&B Governor and an Allcocks of England Whippet.

The Whippet (the UK rod) is more stiff than the Governor. As a first-time fly fisher, I struggled with it. While the Governor was much looser and let the line out better (confirmed by an experienced fly fisher).

I fished in the great Ottawa River. The Governor was easier to fish and caught the six.

After reading about H&I rods, as well as Allcocks rods, I wonder whether they both have a bad rap as (vintage) mass producers.

If we discussed our expectations, couldn't a vintage rod for a beginner be a Governor or a Whippet? Afterall, six fish is not bad for first time fly fisher!

I would like to see 10-year olds fishing with bamboo! It is nice!!!! {FYI, I did not just compare myself to a 10-year old)

You folks are experienced. This could be a great discussion!

George

Kave
Guide

Re: Mass vintage bamboo rods

Post by Kave »

George,
Good on you! I haven’t cast either of the rods you mentioned, but it seems like they’re quite fishable.
There should be a warning label affixed to these things, such as, “Buyer beware - bamboo addictive”.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

In general I think that Alcock rods would have more value than HI rods. The Governor is toward the top of the HI lineup. Not familiar with the Whippet.

tonymccall
Sport

Post by tonymccall »

I have an H-I governor that I plan on making a good fishing rod from as soon as I get the time to actually work on it! I love the color of the cane, almost dark chocolate, and think it will make a nice looking rod once it is redone. It's gonna be my first attempt at totally replacing everything, including cork and reel seat.

George

Post by George »

That's an exciting project! This is sort of what I am curious about. It seems there is a lot of people who have a low view on H&I in general and of the Governor in particular that I've seen. Yet (as a complete novice to fly fishing) I find it to work well on a big river.

Who is to judge?! The fish, I suppose!

Good on ya for taking on that project - would love to see some photos!!

George

Post by George »

@Kave, yes, bamboo is addictive!

I really do not plan on fishing anything else at this point except bamboo. I wouldn't want to ruin my wonderful first experiences with fly fishing!

So, I even bought a vintage Hardy Perfect to put on them!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”