Your favorite scissors

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

greyreefer5
Guide

Your favorite scissors

Post by greyreefer5 »

I currently have 7 pairs of scissors on my tying bench. What I don't have, is a pair that will cleanly cut SEMPRFLI 30 denier NANO Silk. If you enjoy tying small flies, and have something that works ( other than a double edge razor blade) I would love to hear your reccomendations.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Your favorite scissors

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Miltex

- they are surgical scissors -
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

My main pair are the Dr. Slick curved scissors. Easy to pick up from the table and stay sharp for years. The point is fine enough for most of my work.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Professional fly tyers like to use one pair of scissors, which they keep in the hand to avoid wasting time picking scissors up and putting them down all the time. But I'm not a professional, so like the OP I have different scissors for different purposes. For most work, I use a small pair of Dr. Slick scissors with curved points. These would be suitable to keep in the hand, but I don't like doing that. For coarse work like cutting wire, I use Thompson ice-tempered scissors with straight points.

For extremely fine work I use a pair of iris scissors--Miltex 18-1415. I don't want them ever to wear out, so I use them sparingly. I'm not familiar with the Semprfli Nano Silk named in the OP's request, but I'll bet these scissors would cut it. I think my primary Dr. Slick scissors would also work.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

kopter

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thompson/Anvil

Edit: The first red Thompsons had adjustable finger loops. Later, in say the 80's, they were red, but made, I believe, by Anvil.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 09/27/22 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

My favorites are Dr. Slick's 4" Razor Scissors. Easy to sharpen every few years. By the way, I tie with NANO Silk for flies #16 to #20. The trick is not to cut it like normal thread but to push slightly opened scissors against the silk and it will it cut easily.

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

CANARY Professional Precision Scissors (I've only used model dsa-100), hand made in Japan for Japanese paper cutting - I've used them primarily to cut silk or nylon when wrapping a rod but they work well for tying. They are incredibly sharp and pretty inexpensive.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have a desk ful,l but I am very high on the Renomed Super Cuts. It will take a couple of years and 300 d0zen or so flies to see if they endure.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Oh I used to really anal about scissors but the days I'm keeping it a more easy going mind set.
A new pair of scissors is alway great as it's still sharp.

I still got my 'red handle' Thompson scissors for cutting hair somewhere. The past 8 years I've been using the scissors the late Chris Helm gave me. These are German made serrated scissors.

For fine work I like a curved fine tipped scissors. Usually a manicure shop has many choices.

thehersh
Guide

Post by thehersh »

I have several also,Dr Slick from the smallest to medium.I just found a pair of curved marryat scissors from japan.Very fine light little scissors for fine work.I too use different ones for different tasks.

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

My two favorite pair of sissors are a straight blade and curved pair of Thompson Ice Sissors. I have owned them for years, I don't believe Thompson is even in business or they sold the company. Remarkably they are still sharp but I limit what I cut with them. Next up are a couple of pairs of Dr. Slick that have large finger holes which I like because I always keep the sissors in my hand while tying. A trick learned years ago from a professional fly tyer.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I tie with two pairs of scissors. One in each hand. My current favorites are the the Dr. Slick serrated arrow points (right hand) and the serrated micro points (left hand). I do tie mostly trout stuff though. I have tried some of the others posted here and I like the points better on a few, but the Dr. Slicks are the most comfortable for me. But, looks like a few new names here that I might have to check out though.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For real fine work I can recommend this model

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Dr.slick 3.75" razor scissors in hand.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I like the Anvil Micro scissors. They are light, sharp and I can keep them comfortably in my hand while I tie. Unfortunately they folded not too long ago but their scissors are still in stock at many shops. High quality scissors for the money. I usually tune/stone the tips of the scissors when I get them to make the point really fine. I do that with a fine sharpening stone. Makes a huge difference in performance when working with small flies and hackle.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, ICE, Thompson ice scissors; red handle, 90's, sharp.........

Jay Edwards

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I like the anvil scissors with the offset finger loops.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

For general work - keep-in-hand scissors - Wiss...

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

These.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”