Your favorite scissors

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Your favorite scissors

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Squizzers used to be $1.00 at the Orvis sale shows.
The packages said Squizzers in red lettering on piece of paper in a little plastic bag.
They didn't look like scissors to anyone. At one Dallas show - I bought 68 of them.
Took a while to move them on the Virtual Fly Shop - many get thrown in for freebies.
Should have a few lying around here somewhere.

They worked great, at the time when you needed that squeezable scissor.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Those were the days, that Orvis sale at Market Hall!

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

This is a pair given to me by Al Troth. Revlon Curved tip, modified by Troth on a hand made jig.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

I have experimented with many, but my small first red handle Thompson remain one of the best. So for small flies ( not doing deer hair), I still use these Thompsons and their replacement Anvil.

I use other scissors for deer hair and other tough companies and shape with double edge (feather) razor blades for shaping and tight cuts.

Also have surgical scalpels.

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

First, 4 inch Dr. Slick Razors with the tension adjustor. I love getting the tension just right. I use that set for all natural material and precision cuts. I try to keep them away from anything that would accelerate dulling and dinging the blades. Second, an older regular pair of Dr. Slicks for any "rough" work, such as snipping wire tags, cutting lead-free wraps, thick stems, etc. One set is brass/silver and the other is black. It helps me keep them separate.

-J.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

I currently have several pairs of the Dr. Slick and Anvil scissors. I used to have a couple pairs of the red handle Thompson scissors, but my wife commandeered those for her sewing and craft stuff.. ::)
Brian

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

4 inch Dr. Slick Razors with the tension adjustor

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

DrLogik wrote:
09/28/22 11:54
I like the Anvil Micro scissors. They are light, sharp and I can keep them comfortably in my hand while I tie. Unfortunately they folded not too long ago but their scissors are still in stock at many shops. High quality scissors for the money. ...
Me too... I have three pair of Anvil's, love 'em... Sadly I did not know the company "folded"... :'(

Ed

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Hellmtflies wrote:
09/24/22 08:43
My main pair are the Dr. Slick curved scissors. Easy to pick up from the table and stay sharp for years. The point is fine enough for most of my work.
+1 I'm also a fan of the Dr. Slick curved scissors.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

Dr Slick Tungsten Carbide. I’ve also got a pair of Orvis scissors for cutting hair.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

40+ years ago I frequented Pat Barnes' fly shop in West Yellowstone, MT. Sig Barnes--Pat's wife and fly tier for their shop--recommended the scissors I still have and use. Thanks and for the memory, Sig!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Wasn't Pat Barnes wife the lady who tied on a sewing machine?

Jay Edwards

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Eperous wrote:
12/28/22 17:26
DrLogik wrote:
09/28/22 11:54
I like the Anvil Micro scissors. They are light, sharp and I can keep them comfortably in my hand while I tie. Unfortunately they folded not too long ago but their scissors are still in stock at many shops. High quality scissors for the money. ...
Me too... I have three pair of Anvil's, love 'em... Sadly I did not know the company "folded"... :'(

Ed
I have a spare, so I guess I need to treat them with more care.

TClark5201
Sport

Post by TClark5201 »

I’ll second the recommendation on Thompson Ice sicissors. Bought mine in the 80’s, still sharp.
Tom C.

AlanDye

Post by AlanDye »

I like the Gingher Epaulette 3-1/2" embroidery scissor. Tying scissors get expensive and Kelly Galloup on one of his videos said he started haunting fabric stores for scissors that were cheap. Gingher is a high end scissor, but the epaulette model usually only runs about $12 a pair. I use them for fine work, and I just tested them against the OP's suggested thread (SEMPRFLI 30 denier NANO Silk) with no problems. I bought about 20 pair when they went on sale on Amazon a few years ago for $9/pair and have a lifetime supply of them. I keep a pair of Tiemco TC Razor scissors around for hair work and a pair of fine wire nippers on the bench for wire and other blade-destroying work.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I’ve found most scissors that are sold as fly tying scissors are junk. They don’t operate smoothly nor do they hold an edge. The exception is Kopter but I do not find them to be very comfortable.

I’ll take the spring type any day. No need to put your fingers in holes. Just pick them up and cut. I’ve had the same two pair for over 30 years and have not sharpened them. I cut everything but wire with them. For wire I use cheap Dr. Slick ones. I’ve had my ass chewed out by purists for cutting wire instead of twisting it. The cheap scissors don’t hold an edge long and they don’t sharpen well.
Last edited by PYochim on 01/15/23 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

bluesjay wrote:
12/29/22 19:09
Hi Guys, Wasn't Pat Barnes wife the lady who tied on a sewing machine?

Jay Edwards
Yea, I believe you are correct. I seem to remember seeing it at the Federation of Fly Fishers Museum when it was in Livingston, Mt. But I could be wrong as memory fades at times. :)

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I saw it in the shop in W. Yellowstone, but I didn't see her operate it. Pat Barnes gave us a ride as we hitch hiked through the park 'bout '68.

Jay Edwards

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Based on comments in this thread, I bought Dr. Slick's 3 3/4" Razor Arrow scissors. I really like them. They're not quite as fine as my iris scissors, but they are stouter. I can cut tag ends off more closely than I can with my usual Dr. Slick curved scissors, and they are super sharp.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Caneghost wrote:
09/25/22 06:40
I have a desk ful,l but I am very high on the Renomed Super Cuts. It will take a couple of years and 300 d0zen or so flies to see if they endure.
+1 Renomed ‘big loop’ super cuts seem incredible value from a medical supplier

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”