Your favorite scissors

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Your favorite scissors

Post by DrLogik »

One thing that will greatly improve Anvil ICE scissors is to grind down the tips with a high quality sharpening stone. I grind the outside surface down with a gradual taper to the point. Careful you don't round-over the point though. I do this with my Spyderco Sharpmaker ceramic stones. First with the medium, then the fine, then the ultra fine stones/rods.

This does two things, it makes it easier to get a very fine cut even on one thin barbule of a feather and second, it's much easier to slide into a tight space and make a short snip with just the tips.

These are a pair of my Micro scissors.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”