Scarfing

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Scarfing

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Wondering if anyone has scarfed a penta?
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Scarfing

Post by OldCane »

I was not really setup to do it, but I did do a penta tip scarf near the ferrule once for a friend that was making a wall hanger and not worried about fishing the rod. He wanted the rod sections to be all full length. I had a broken scrap penta section of about the correct size in the junk bin. IMHO, it turned out fairly decent since most of the scarf was covered by the wrap or hidden inside the ferrule. Mostly all hand work since I didn't have penta scraf block. PITA! I don't know anyone doing it for real.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

reidrods
Guide

Re: Scarfing

Post by reidrods »

My experience is similar to Old Cane's. Using my homemade scarfing block for hex, I scarfed two penta rods. Made the penta sections and then scarfed the joint. Came out better that I expected. It was harder to match the color of the sections than it was to scarf. One rod had a short mid,the other a short tip, both near the ferrule.

Willis

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”