Granger Aristocrat 8642 vs W&M Stream and Lake 8642

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Granger Aristocrat 8642 vs W&M Stream and Lake 8642

Post by ozarkwater »

Took my awesome sweet Granger Aristocrat 8642 that came from Rogersville, MO and cast it against my Wright & McGill Stream and Lake 8642.

The Granger used a Sylk WF5 on it. The Stream and Lake used a Sylk WF6 on it. Many posts describe the differences in the two rods, subtle they may be.

The Granger was nice and sublime. Soft hackles, emergers and clear water will be its forte. The W&M will be loaded with a sink tip along with stone flies and to dredge when the water is up.

There is a definite difference in handling. Granger is slower than the W&M. Just a bit, but enough I can tell.

Will mic these two and my Walton Powell 8' 3/2 and see what they yield.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Granger Aristocrat 8642 vs W&M Stream and Lake 8642

Post by Caneghost »

According to Michael Sinclair's wonderfully researched book, after Wright & McGill purchased the Granger rod company, they were alarmed upon witnessing the Friday night bonfire, where employees burned the reject bamboo strips and blanks. They thought there was too much breakage, and increased tip diameters by 0.010", the only change they made to the Goodwin Granger tapers. Ten thousandths is enough to take rod action up one line weight generally, and thus the W&M rods tend to feel a bit faster and be more suited to a higher line weight. Actually, per Granger's recommended lining, we are going down one line weight when we chose a No. 5 line on several models that were listed for HEH lines. My Goodwin Granger 9050 pleases me most with a Cortland Peach DT5F line, while my W&M 9050 casts that line very nicely, but performs even better with a WF6F Triangle Taper.

Within a reasonable range, line weights are a bit subjective as each caster has a different feel and style, though the Granger/W&M differences are actual.
Interestingly enough, I was never overjoyed fishing any 5 weight line on my W&M 8040, also recommended for HEH. I tried a four weight line and love it, currently fishing a SA Amplitude Smooth Trout line in WF4F.

I also like a Sylk WF5F on my Goodwin Granger 8642 Special.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Re: Granger Aristocrat 8642 vs W&M Stream and Lake 8642

Post by ozarkwater »

One thing I have noticed is that the cork grip on my Aristocrat 8642 is slimmer than any W&M 8642 that have passed through my hands.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the feel of the rod or not. I would suppose that it would.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”