Ferrule Slide Lengths & Morgan Handmill Conversion

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Ferrule Slide Lengths & Morgan Handmill Conversion

Post by SpringCreek »

I'm in the process of building a Morgan Handmill Conversion spreadsheet in excel that will convert hex tapers to penta or quad, display taper settings for the mill, provide guide spacing information (limited), calculate ferrule sizes, and provide final section lengths for cutting that account for the appropriate ferrule size and brand. I have the information I need for Super Z ferrules from my shop and have built a "custom option" for the user to enter their own information, however, I was wondering if anyone knows the slide lengths for CSE or Rush River ferrules. If I recall correctly, the RR ferrules are somewhat truncated, and I don't know about the CSE ferrules. I thought it would be interesting to just add the slide lengths to the file so that the final section cutting lengths could be determined automatically by selecting the type of ferrule being used. If anyone has the info, I would appreciate it if you could share it.

I will be sharing the file with anyone interested when it is finished. I'm trying to make it a more robust version than the one Tom provided to users, or the one that was shared by Chris Carlin years ago.

Jim

By the way, while this isn't finished it is a preliminary view of what the format looks like. It is missing the option for swelled butt settings, and some of the station references aren't finalized. Other than that, I've got the conversions worked out so I'm getting closer.

Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ferrule Slide Lengths & Morgan Handmill Conversion

Post by kermit »

Looking foreward to it all!
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I just started working on something similar, so I would love to test drive your spreadsheet when it's ready for prime time.

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

Nice! Thanks for taking this on.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Don't forget to include conversion to heptas and octos.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Steve at CSE may have all that info available, not sure. In any event, they offer multiple styles and lengths. In their SS (Super Swiss) ferrules there are Standard, Truncated and Micro. The SD (Step Downs) there are at least Standard and Truncated. And then they have some reproduction ferrules, or did anyway. I think they had Leonard, Payne and Dickerson, though not sure about that. Could be more and other.

Hope this helps,

Chris

scota

Post by scota »

Looks fantastic!

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Did Jim (SpringCreek) ever finish his tool? With that much functionality I would certainly be willing to purchase a copy if he has it available.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Canewrap,

It is done. I had to make a couple of alterations along the way, but if you would like a copy just drop me a message with your email address. There is no cost.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Jim, I sent you a PM. Thank you sir for sharing your tool. Giving individuals, such as yourself, is one of the things that makes this forum the great place it is.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Canewrap wrote:
05/18/23 13:49
Jim, I sent you a PM. Thank you sir for sharing your tool. Giving individuals, such as yourself, is one of the things that makes this forum the great place it is.
+1

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”