Steve Sobieniak - Caveman

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

blackdog
Guide

Steve Sobieniak - Caveman

Post by blackdog »

I just read this on Facebook. I counted Steve as a friend and a fine rod builder. Steve posted as Caveman on this board.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Steve Sobieniak, founder of Root River Rod Co. He passed Thursday, September 22nd after a year long battle with cancer. Steve was an avid fly fisher, a skilled rod maker, and a great man. He greeted every customer like a friend and had a true gift of meeting people where they were and helping them get where they wanted to go. He will be deeply missed.

Services will take place at Camp Creek Farms in Preston, Minnesota on October 8th from 2-5 pm. A Gofundme has been started for Steve’s family. Link is in our comments.

While we could never replace Steve, RRRCo will continue on in the hands of his daughter and son in law, as well as our amazing shop team you know and love.”

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Steve Sobieniak - Caveman

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Blackdog, thank you for sharing this. My sympathy goes out to Steve's family and friends.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

I am sorry for this loss. My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

I was lucky to meet him a few times at his shop. He was always generous with his time, giving me tips on how clean ferrules or wrapping guides. Demonstrating a couple of things for me to learn…. Nice person.

Fly shops are a tough business, wish his daughter and son in law success with the business.

Tight Lines

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I saw Steve at the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo but he was busy with folks, so I didn't a chance to visit with him. Steve was truly one of those folks that can never be replaced.

Sincerest condolences to the Sobieniak family.

mdwinks
Sport

Post by mdwinks »

I didn't know Steve well, but met him several time at his shop and he once refinished a rod a for me. As said above he was friendly, generous with information and welcoming. I'll miss chatting with him in summer trips to Lanesboro. I wish the best for his family and friends.

(Thanks for sharing Blackdog; but it's certainly sad news to hear.) -Mark

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I just saw this. It's very sad. I met Steve a few years ago when he and I were part of a group fishing for Atlantics on the Grand Cascapedia. We were the only two using bamboo rods. He was a very down-to-earth guy and an excellent fisherman. I talked to him a time or two after that. My deepest sympathy to his family.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Sorry to hear about Steve. I did not know him at all. For me the makers of cane rods and their customers are a great brotherhood/ sisterhood. Blessings to Steve’s family. Thanks for sharing blackdog. Jed
Fefferfly

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I just saw this on YouTube and thought that others here might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7-rB3fO6LU

RIP Steve

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Truly enjoyed that. RIP.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Me too. Didn’t know Steve but condolences to his family and friends.

John

Return to “Forum Announcements”