<()))>< Firehole Just FYI

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

<()))>< Firehole Just FYI

Post by Hellmtflies »

Just FYI. My better half and I spent the day on the Firehole two days ago. No matter what the fly shop river reports say I'm here to tell you that they might be a little off. :) First there were absolutely no white Miller Caddis anywhere. No, no BWOs either. We found, get this, a smattering of Tricos early. They were gone by 1100. Then nothing. There was a ton of Hoppers. Smaller ones say #12 2x long or a #10. But after pitching a few different hopper patterns at them and hunting the depths of as many undercut banks as we could, nothing. Then at about 1330 a midge hatch had a few pods of trout on the surface. We put the steel to about eight or ten rainbows to 12"s with a #22 Griffth's Gnat then it shut off completely in an hour or so. That was it. Done.
Note too that we checked a few different locations on the Madison for the "Runners". None to be found. None. The river is very low and it's still way too warm yet. I'd give that another week or so. We need cold weather for that and a few shorter days to assist in the photoperiodism effect. :)
Anyway, that is our report that goes nothing like the reports from the FF shops in the area. For what it's worth. :)
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 10/01/22 07:53, edited 2 times in total.

ReelPatina
Guide

Re: <()))>< Firehole Just FYI

Post by ReelPatina »

Honesty is a cherishable quality not easily found in sale staff…

Who doesn’t appreciate a good scouting report, hopefully not at too great of an expense to both of you.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Prefer honest reports over 'sales pitches' any day!

JUSTAPAYNE
Sport

Post by JUSTAPAYNE »

Never disappointed with the Uppe’ Lama’ below Soda Butte but be careful with the bison !

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Hell is right. I fished the Firehole on the 28th and found the water way too hot, so I quit after mid-morning. 68+ degrees at the upper end and absolutely no hatches. Even the Madison in the Park was warm, around 66-70 degrees.
I don't know how the fly shops get their "reports," I saw no other anglers anywhere near me and only a couple on the entire river. River level was very low, IMO.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”