Tight Ferrules

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

tonymccall
Sport

Tight Ferrules

Post by tonymccall »

I have a newly acquired blue collar rod that comes up about an 1/8” short of joining the ferrules all the way? I’ve cleaned both male and female ends with alcohol and have polished the female ends with 4X steel wool. I’m always afraid to go too far. What’s the best way to ease these ferrules into a nice fit?

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: Tight Ferrules

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Not all ferrules will fully seat. Before you overlap the male measure the length of the male slide and the depth of the female to see if there is really a problem. If the male seats tightly enough to keep the sections together just go fish it.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

tonymccall
Sport

Post by tonymccall »

GrayHackleRods wrote:
09/27/22 19:53
Not all ferrules will fully seat. Before you overlap the male measure the length of the male slide and the depth of the female to see if there is really a problem. If the male seats tightly enough to keep the sections together just go fish it.
I always worried about creating a weakness in the rod with an improperly seated ferrule.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Tony, I'd love to hear more about the rod... My Monty plays similar tricks. +1 to Lee.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I deliberately don't lap my ferrules to fit all the way. A good fit vs a loose fit is so fine that a little oxidation that has be cleaned off will result in a loose fit if the ferrules are fit to butt up against each other from the start. So, be careful, it is a major hassle when ferrule fit gets loose.

tonymccall
Sport

Post by tonymccall »

Canewrap wrote:
09/27/22 21:46
I deliberately don't lap my ferrules to fit all the way. A good fit vs a loose fit is so fine that a little oxidation that has be cleaned off will result in a loose fit if the ferrules are fit to butt up against each other from the start. So, be careful, it is a major hassle when ferrule fit gets loose.
So.. what I'm understanding is... put it together and fish with it... as is.

Correct?

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Tony…
Two tip rod. Both tips the same?
Check female for debris - 1’ve found axle grease, wax, bugs in the bottom.
The moisture cap may be installed with a tad of solder blocking the insertion. Use a precision pin to check. If a pin is unavailable, use a numbered bit very close to male OD dimension.
Check taper of female. If tapered, use 2000 wet dry paper with a lubricant to polish it out. I cut a 1/8” wide strip. For lubricant, I use WD40.

Don

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Don, is right about making sure the female is clean and clear of any obstructions. But, if the female is clean and everything he mentions checks out, including no clicking or wiggling when the male is fully seated, to within the 1/8" you said - then yes, fish the rod. I have redone over two dozen old rods in the last 15 or so years and it doesn't take much to screw up a ferrule fit. Just saying...

tonymccall
Sport

Post by tonymccall »

Don Andersen wrote:
09/28/22 12:06
Tony…
Two tip rod. Both tips the same?
Check female for debris - 1’ve found axle grease, wax, bugs in the bottom.
The moisture cap may be installed with a tad of solder blocking the insertion. Use a precision pin to check. If a pin is unavailable, use a numbered bit very close to male OD dimension.
Check taper of female. If tapered, use 2000 wet dry paper with a lubricant to polish it out. I cut a 1/8” wide strip. For lubricant, I use WD40.

Don
It was originally a two tip rod, but when I acquired it there was only one tip. It is a Phillipson, Power Pakt. My other Phillipson rod seats completely.

The first thing I did was clean everything with achohol. The female ferrules are clear with no obstruction. The middle section initially stuck about 1/4" short of being fully seated... and stuck. I cooled the ferrule with ice and managed to separate them. After polishing with steel wool and a touch of 2000 grit paper, it now seats at about the same place as the top section. I stopped at that point and inquired here.

I think, rather than pressing any further, I'm going to fish it from there. They still separate with a nice pop sound.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

The advice to check the length of the male vs the depth of the female is good, I think. Those deep-drawn ferrules used by Granger and Phillipson don't have the sharp shoulder on the male that soldered tube ferrules (such as those made and sold by CSE) have. It could be that your ferrules are seating as far as they were designed to seat.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”