Fly Lines from the 1970s

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Choptanked
Sport

Fly Lines from the 1970s

Post by Choptanked »

I have several bamboo rods that were built in the 1970s. I am curious about what kinds of the lines were most popular at that time for bamboo. For instance, were most people fishing real silk with bamboo then? Or was the Cortland Peach dominant? Which lines available today hew mostly closely to lines from the 1970s? Thanks everyone.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Lines from the 1970s

Post by jim royston »

Scientific Anglers Air-Cel Supreme. Maybe Cortland 444.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Cortland 444 Peach DT was the line I saw most often. Masterline's "The Chancelor" was also popular.

These:
http://www.belvoirdale.com/Masterline.html

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Masterlines Chalkstreams and Chancellors

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I think silk mostly went out in the early 60s, as they were replaced by the plastic lines, about the same time as bamboo was replaced by fiberglass.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Seems to me that the most popular quality lines in the 1970's were the SA Air Cel and Air Cel Supreme. Not sure which current lines are closest to those in taper design and materials with so many innovations over the past 50 years. I don't think the Masterlines back then were very popular nor that they were closest in design and materials to the Air Cels. They had a textured finish and a somewhat denser coating which made them float a bit lower, but cut through the air somewhat better, making them a favorite of the tournament accuracy casters. My guess is that the current moderately priced SA Air Cels are the most like their older ancestors.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

I still use Air Cel lines (wish they would bring back a DT). They still Fish great! I have much more expensive lines, but I am wondering why after fishing the current Air Cel the last few years.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, SA and Cortland, even their cheap lines were good.

Jay Edwards

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Perhaps the 406 fly lines are closer since they were designed from older classic tapers. They do have the current SA slickness coating so they perform well and are smaller diameters. I know that many of my rods like them. I have used the Cortland Peach DT line but not the AirCEL SA's. The Cortland works well and lasts well, though I do not like the color. Stealth guy.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

I lived in St. Paul, MN during the 1970's. 3M was a major employer, and fly fishermen would get their SA lines at the employee store for $5 each, Air Cels and Air Cel Supremes. We had a number of hobbyists or sideliner bamboo rod makers in the area. I have about 8 or 10 of their rods. It seems they made the rods to work with the SA lines. My Orvis and Paul Young rods from the 1960's work fine with the SA lines. In the 1970's we would see a few Cortland 444s on bamboo rods

In recent years I've fished these rods with the Peach and Sylk lines, and the rods like them. Also the 406. But to answer the OP's question, in my area it was the SA lines from the company store.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

In the 70's my favorite fly line was an "Aircell Supreme " and then an "Air Cell Supreme II". I still have a few NOS lines in my stash. Today I like Air Cell 333 lines. Slightly shorter then standard at 82" that works just fine with classic reels.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Put out an ad in our classifieds. Last year I wanted an air cell supreme II, and a generous fellow sent me a new one in a box, and insisited not taking money for it! I saw an ad in FBs marketplace, where a guy is selling a lot of air cell surpremes. That line is all tht Ed Van Put fishes.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I was fishing the south-central Pennsylvania limestone creeks in those days.

On the LeTort, it was unusual to see anything other than cane rods, Eddie Shenk excepted.

On Falling Springs one saw a mixture of cane and glass.

Kingfisher silk lines were $10-12 ordered direct from Farlow. Cortland Peach was also quite popular. Fat tip diameters were frowned upon. The #1 silk lines (IEI) micced at 0.021-0.022, while the Peach was 0.032. SA lines measured 0.036-0.037 and were considered unsuitable by some.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”