Help ID an old Leonard rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Malparara

Help ID an old Leonard rod

Post by Malparara »

Hi Everyone

I have an old Leonard rod that I am trying to ID and determine how much effort i put into its restoration. I purchased two rods on ebay (extremely cheaply) some time ago and the seller had represented them both as fibreglass but on inpsection, one was the Leonard and the other was an LL Bean 8 wt.

The Leonard is a two piece rod with an extra tip. Both of the tips are different lengths to the butt section so I am guessing there may have been some restoration work done in the past - but if there was, you cannot pick it as all of the guide wraps look very uniform and original. One of the tip sections (the longer one) is snapped and is perhaps beyond repair, and the slightly shorter one appears to be in good shape besides some delamination. A few of the wraps will need replacing.

The butt is stamp "THE" / "LEONARD" / "ROD" / "H L LEONARD ROD CO." / "MAKERS" inside the cartouche, and there is a "REG. US PAT OFF" mark under the cartouche.

The butt ferrule has two patent stamps - PAT. SEP. 3, 1873 and PAT. OCT. 26, 73.

The butt section is a fraction over 4' and the two tips are 39 3/8" and 41 1/2". So overall length would be 7'3" to 7'6"

The rod is in a simple green bag with four compartments - one for each section, and one for a timber batten (assuming for protection) - all housed in an aluminium tube with brass caps.

Hoping someone on here can provide some information to help work out what this is.

Thanks, Malcolm

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Re: Help ID an old Leonard rod

Post by JoeBolt »

I'm getting the shivers. This could be great.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

8' Leonard with 2 short tips. Could scarf tips to full length or have 2 new tip sections made or grow some tomatoes.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Malcolm, your rod is a Leonard Model 66, probably made sometime between the late 20s and early 40s. The patent date ferrule would argue for earlier, the plain red wraps and bag with stiffener would argue for later. Leonards are like that sometimes. Of course elements may have been changed when the rod was worked on. It might be worth 500-700.00 if it were restored with scarfed or replaced tips, on a good day. Not sure what a restoration might cost, I'm sure there's a wide range.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The Leonard 66 is a great rod. It is certainly worthwhile to have a capable rod maker and restorationist look it over to see if there are any other issues. With full restoration and scarfing both tips, I expect you would be investing the funds Short Tip mentions as a possible range in value. You would have a great rod to fish with. If you are looking to sell it for a profit, then it does not sound like a money-making venture for you.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Malparara

Post by Malparara »

Thanks everyone. I am not looking to profit from this rod. It is a lovely looking rod and it would be a shame not to restore it and have a fish.

Now to find someone who is willing to take it on.

Cheers , Malcolm

Malparara

Post by Malparara »

I have taken a few more pics of the rod before restoration in case anyone is interested. Would be interested to hear your thoughts and comments.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nou196qPb6yuoi1c9

cheers, Malcolm

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

This is just a guess. It looks like this prefire rod had gone back to Leonard for a rewrap some time in the 70s New snakes and wraps. I've had Leonards that have been sent back for a freshen up. I had one where the seat was removed the blank rolled and the guides reset to remove a set in the butt and mid. That was a larger rod but very interesting. Just a thought.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”