Heddon #20 Refurbish

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Birdawg

Heddon #20 Refurbish

Post by Birdawg »

Just starting my third bamboo rod refurbish project and have a couple questions for this group. Working on a heavily used Classic Era Heddon #20, 8-1/2 foot, 2 fer and 4-1/2oz owned by my father. We still have the complete tube with top and bag in good condition other than the bag label was pretty faded. Still able to make out most of the info provided. I believe it is classic era because it only has the "Heddon" signature (written diagonally) and "#20" on the blank. Here are my questions:
1. Is it possible this rod came with simple snake stripper guide? This is the state it is in and I don't think my dad lost or repaired it, just looking for confirmation.
2. What is the original guide wrap silk color? It looks to be a reddish, but my brother retied the guides some years ago and used red nylon, not silk that I think would have been original. Trying to get a color match if possible. Were there trim bands and what color?
3. The ferrules are black and still fit well, but are worn and chipped (externally, only), do you recommend simply cleaning or somehow refinishing. If refinish, how...paint and what type paint?
The overall goal is to keep it in the family with adult grandkids and keep it fishing. It has a rich history of catching hundreds, if not thousands, of trout from the small streams and creeks of northern WI. We are all still very avid fisherman and love the history behind it!

Thanks in advance,

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Heddon #20 Refurbish

Post by steeliefool »

#1 No, not a #20 grade.
#2 Maroon tipped with Gold
#3 I believe Heddon used india ink covered with a coat of clear lacquer for "japanning" the ferrules. I believe it was called a "gun metal" finish.
Have fun with the resto.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Check out this link. Someone here showed it to me as I have a 8 heddon 2f I'm going to wrap shortly. I'm still deciding on weather to use my own diy guides or buy some. It's real nice to see a restored rod. Gives you a good sample to go for and you can see what different models n colors look like. Try to enjoy the process vs stressing over it.

https://antiquerodandreels.com/antiquer ... eddon.html#

Birdawg

Post by Birdawg »

Thanks for the information to help with this project. Completed the rebuild yesterday. I think it will be a very functional rod. Here is how it turned out:

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, WOW! That's a dandy! Great job.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”