Tip Barbara wrap when

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Kono
Sport

Tip Barbara wrap when

Post by Kono »

I am restoring a Montaque Rod unknome date. This rod was my great-uncle rod I am trying to find out if he bought this rod before WW1 or when he got back from France. attached is pixs of the tip wrap and the other cowponies. along with a practice wrap I am doing to restore this rod. I do not have the striping guide and am trying to find out what it was, any help would be great.
A new TWIST in looking at getting some replacement guides I found that the ones on this rod, the snake guides are twisted from left to right. Dose any one know were to find snake guides with a left to right twist? or when these guides were used in making this Montaque rod.
Pix attached below.

PS dose anyone know how to make old steal snake guides shine again?

I am doing a barber pole wrap for the first time. Dose anyone have any tips on how to color save and varnish this type of wrap?
Last edited by Kono on 10/09/22 18:45, edited 2 times in total.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tip Barbara wrap when

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, A rock tumbler shines them up. I use gun blue and lacquer after that.

Jay Edwards

Kono
Sport

Post by Kono »

Thanks I was thinking about the tumbler but was not sure.
This is my first time doing a barber wrap. Do I try to put on some color preserver or just use the varnish?

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I use OOOO steel wool to polish the guides. As far as the spiral wraps.....wow! Good luck with that.....take your time, a lot! I’ve been redoing bamboo rods for years and don’t even enjoy intermediate trim wraps like on some vintage Hardy rods that I’ve done. My 02

Kono
Sport

Post by Kono »

Thanks I will spend some time trying to restore these old guilds. This is the first restore project I am working on. I have built a 10 other bamboo rods but now I want to get into restoration. My next project is a 1920 Beauty Rod 7 different colors, trim bans every 2 inches, all three sections spiral wrapped, and hand drawn American flag, snakes and thunder birds. I think it will keep be busy for a year.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Well they probably used shellac to tack the wraps down, followed by varnish but that's just a guess. That rod is older than anything I've touched. Good luck, you do have your work cut out for you.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

Kono
Sport

Post by Kono »

thank
bob

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”