Dan Bailey fly collection

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Dan Bailey fly collection

Post by Bill Charles »

I have an 80 year old friend who is looking to sell a ~500 collection of Dan Bailey flies of which 90% are unused. A mix of of dries, nymphs and streamers. Any idea what the value might be? I'm worried he's going to get seriously low-balled by the one person (whom I don't really don't trust) who has contacted him about the collection.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dan Bailey fly collection

Post by creakycane »

Since no response yet, I’d say it really depends on if they are labeled, organized and which patterns and era. I could imagine paying 300.00 for a bunch packed in 6 or 8 boxes and signs of use. A well labeled and housed collection of select patterns, historic Tyers, from times past could be worth 1K.
Wondering why I responded, since it’s prolly what you would GUESS, too. :)

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

You might contact the new owners of Dan Bailey’s. They might be interested.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

You might want to reach out to his son John. Though I doubt he will be interested. Large fly collections don't generally demand big bucks sorry to say.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

Thanks for the info gents. Just got off the phone with my friend. Turns out there are 40 (!) labeled boxes and all the flies are unused. He thinks he may even still have the Dan Bailey's shipping box they came in, circa 1978 and the catalogue shipped with it.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

"Dan Bailey" flies really are nothing special other than the fact that they may have been tied in the USA back in the day. They would probably sell for no more than buying them in bulk today, with selling the boxes individually being more lucrative. That would be a long, tough job, so selling them in a lot for a bulk price is probably his best option.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”