How to open Hardy Perfect Reel (to change spool, oil, etc)

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

LeftyAngler

How to open Hardy Perfect Reel (to change spool, oil, etc)

Post by LeftyAngler »

I recently acquired a Hardy Perfect 3-3/8. The year not known - so my first question to Hardy enthusiasts is: can you guess the year from the photos?

Next and More importantly, how can I open this model to look and check inside for maintenance? At this point I’m not planning to obtain a spare spool for a different line but there will be a time that I have to look inside.
Thomas Turner provides this information on their YouTube channel
https://youtu.be/oALnUpZwmEw

I kinda tried but……not sure if I’m doing right or if this model of mine could be handled the same way.
After my halfhearted trial, the reel still functions or sounds the same ie, I presume I didn’t break it!!

Thanks in advance.

Low Profile
Guide

Re: How to open Hardy Perfect Reel (to change spool, oil, etc)

Post by Low Profile »

Lefty,

Your reel is designed to open by rotating the face plate counter clockwise. Place your fingers into the spool (where the line is) and apply some pressure to the line. Use your thumbs and apply counter clockwise pressure to the face plate to get the plate to start unwinding. Once the face plate has started to unwind use the handle to the complete the removal. Avoid using the handle knob for the initial force. You'll end up with 3 pieces (face plate, spool and frame) all of which can be easily reassembled.

Tx, Low Profile

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I have several Perfects....great reels for bamboo! My guesstimate on your reel’s age would be 60’s-70’s. 3 3/8” is a nice size for 8’-9’ bamboo rods.
For removing the spool, hold the reel with the agate guide facing you, place three fingers on the perforated spool and turn towards you. Give that a try.....

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Be super careful with the locking screw - the first thing that you need to remove. I have a coin wrapped in masking tape which fits tightly and does the job really well. The advice already given about the spool is spot on.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I believe the reel was available in the 1980s, as that is when I bought one new that was built in this style, although mine had a white agate ring, and not the ceramic ring as seen in this example.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

PT48, this era Perfect doesn’t have the slotted locking screw......

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Thanks bugslinger, I wondered if it didn't have one. I will not edit my post because I believe that the advice holds for those models which do have a locking screw.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

This model of the Hardy Perfect came on the market 1976 and left again 1996. Three sizes, 31/8”,33/8” as yours,and a 35/8”. The first years until 1982 this model Hardy Perfect had a greyish agathe line-guide. From 1982 the line- guide was made of Brownish ceramic material (as yours). The model came in RHW, as yours, and LHW. The LHW had a looking screw and were much fewer in number made.

LeftyAngler

Post by LeftyAngler »

Hi thank you all!!
I understand what LowProfile and Bugslinger instruct me, very visual without pics or videos - thank you. Then I tried.........however the face plate wouldn't seem to cooperate. I'm putting fair amount of force. Well, I'll figure out. When it does malfunction or dire needs of repair, the more force must be applied anyway.
Also thank you for IDing the year of the reel. Most likely an early 80s model. One of my friends guessed so as well. He said the black case, assuming it's an original that came with, came after the blue-tan cases.

Oh, yes, I'm paring this with my Livingston Rod Fiberglass 5wt 8'6" and 406 Fly Lines DT5 Perfect balance & feeling - my spring creek rod!!

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Maybe try some light oil or WD-40 on the spool spindle and let it sit for awhile.....but like said before, don’t use the knob for leverage. And if this doesn’t work....take a rock and bang on the backside of the reel! (Just kidding....)

Return to “Classic Reels”