9-1/2 lever cap

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

9-1/2 lever cap

Post by LeeO »

So after many years of doing this and fighting 9-1/2 planes that one minute were like butter and the next like bricks, I finally figured out the issue. The tightness of the lever cap. I have found that the lever cap should be only just tight enough to secure the iron. Any tighter and it causes some type of deflection and misalignment of the iron. Now that I do that the performance of the old 9-1/2 is very consistent and very good
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 9-1/2 lever cap

Post by canerodscom »

Good post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 9-1/2 lever cap

Post by henkverhaar »

I think that the iron in an original 9-1/2 is quite thin and flexible. 'Modern' block planes generally have thicker irons that do not flex (as much). My Quangsheng (available under many OEM names, including if I'm not mistaken the Woodriver range) iron can be 'squeezed' real tight, whereas some of the old block planes I have are also quite sensitive to lever cap pressure...

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”