Greetinngs all around, folks!

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

1streamcaster

Greetinngs all around, folks!

Post by 1streamcaster »

Hi, my name's Peter and I love fly fishing. I live now in Indianapolis and I'm a regular over at the fiberglass fly rodders site. I have too many glass rods to fish. (I can't get out often enough to use the different rod lengths and line weights in their called-for places.) I have one bamboo rod, a Phillipson 8' 3 pc President. One tip is down 2 inches and the other is so weak I don't have confidence in it. (I've started a thread about this.)

I got into classic rods (both 'boo and glass) looking for that sweet feel of loading and unloading. If I can't feel that, I don't want to fish that rod. It's why I fly fish. (Well, not all of what I fly fish for, but I DO look for the feel.) I had an 8 1/2' Heddon #14 Thorobred (2F) where I couldn't feel the loading feel, even with a DT6 line. I sold the rod off.

When I started this classic rod pilgrimage, I thought I'd concentrate on bamboo for my trout rods and fiberglass for my smallmouth fishing. I wanted the responsive bamboo sensitivity for the electric fight of trout. Smallmouth mainly just pull at you--not as much "electricity"--so I didn't need as much sensitivity. Just the sweet feel of the cast.

That's generally where I still am.

See ya! Fish on!
Peter

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Greetinngs all around, folks!

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Hello Peter - thanks for introduction.
Wade on over to the search box and type in 8 1/2' Heddon #14 Thorobred for a great time!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

No, not color blind - I am color stupid.

George

Post by George »

Hi Peter - welcome to the forum. I am by fortune of living at the Ottawa River a smallmouth guy, but I do dream of trout!
Great story about your rods! Hope we bump into each other in this forum.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Welcome Peter...

Return to “Members Corner”