Matarelli? Whip Finisher

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

5strips
Sport

Matarelli? Whip Finisher

Post by 5strips »

Hello All
I picked up this Whip Finisher, and was wondering if anyone recognized it original.
It looks like a Matarelli, but I cannot find any markings.
I haven’t unscrewed the blade coverplate yet to see if the are any initials.

Thanks for the help
Kevin

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Matarelli? Whip Finisher

Post by Brooks »

sure looks like a true Materelli to me. The little silver spacer beads, the point, the bends. I compared to mine. The cutter is cool.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Mine looks the same. Identical curves, bearings etc. The barrel on mine is brass (?) the wire is probably stainless. No markings and I think it was normal on whip finishers

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

In my opinion, highly unlikely to be a Matarelli whip finisher, though it's possibly an early experiment that wasn't produced. On the orignal, the cutter was a notch ground into the shaft of the stainless steel shaft and not a separate blade as in yours. With the sharpened notch, there was no need for an additinal separate brass cover for a blade. Finally, those made with a notch had his initials added to the notched end of the shaft, F on one side, M on the other.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Does it matter?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well unscrew the darn thing and have a look! Geeze.....

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have one and it's not a Matarelli.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

ibookje wrote:
10/21/22 02:10
Does it matter?
It only matters because, apparently, the real deal Matarelli whip finishing tools are worth some dough. I've got two so I guess between those and my standard angle Lie Nielsen block planes I'm set for retirement.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

It only matters because the original Matarelli whip finishers with notch cutters are collectible, very useful, and getting pricey since no longer made. Most of those were given by Frank to friends and tiers those work he admired and a few sold through Blue Ribbon Flies. If this one with the separate blade and screwed-on cover were an original Matarelli it would be a unique experimental model and probably worth even more. Unscrewing the cover would be pointless, since there wouldn't be any need for a blade if there was a notched cutter end underneath.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

16pmd wrote:
10/21/22 20:37
It only matters because the original Matarelli whip finishers with notch cutters are collectible, very useful, and getting pricey since no longer made. Most of those were given by Frank to friends and tiers those work he admired and a few sold through Blue Ribbon Flies. If this one with the separate blade and screwed-on cover were an original Matarelli it would be a unique experimental model and probably worth even more. Unscrewing the cover would be pointless, since there wouldn't be any need for a blade if there was a notched cutter end underneath.
I simply thought that perhaps the "FM" initials might be under the brass plates. So, opening them might unveil the initials.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

Hellmtflies wrote:
10/22/22 09:35
16pmd wrote:
10/21/22 20:37
I simply thought that perhaps the "FM" initials might be under the brass plates. So, opening them might unveil the initials.
They are not

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Matarelli? Whip Finish

Post by Brooks »

I learned something here. I didn't know that true Matarelli's were identifiable. I bought mine in around 1986 in Lakewood Colorado at a flyshop (possibly named Walker's? He made cool dubbing spinners). The owner's tying desk was a big thing autographed by dozens of tiers. I looked closely at the flat piece below the rotating handle, and sure enough, it appears to have a strike of an F on one side, and an M on the other. Really hard to tell, microscopic almost. Cool.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I have a couple 'fm' Materelli's, and I like the idea of a cutter on the end, but if I sharpen a whip finisher it won't be a Materelli. I could sharpen an 'import', but I worry I'd stab myself. This gadget on the end seems like a good idea.

Jay Edwards

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

bluesjay wrote:
10/24/22 14:00
Hi Guys, I have a couple 'fm' Materelli's, and I like the idea of a cutter on the end, but if I sharpen a whip finisher it won't be a Materelli. I could sharpen an 'import', but I worry I'd stab myself. This gadget on the end seems like a good idea.

Jay Edwards
Take a jewelers file and cut a groove on both sides of the "flat spot" it will not decrease the value.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Once upon a time I had one that Frank gave me at his house in West Yellowstone. (It had the thread cutter end and was marked FM).

Over the years several Forumers seemed to want this original Matarelli tool more than I did, so I ended up selling it for a couple of hundred dollars, believe it or not.

That said, I could not believe the amount of questioning; controversy and nit-picking this little tool generated before and after my sale. (See the above.) Sheesh!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”